Lost Lake hints

W
wozniasm
Considering hitting Lost Lake with a co-worker this week after work.
Any hints on how to fish it? We'll be in our toons.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
I
idahojeff
I fish Lost Lake often...I am a spinner guy. I do really well up there with "hot pepper" 1/4 oz panther martin. I fish as much structure as I can...lots of logs moving around. Seams like the East side of lake is less productive that the west side it seams.

Good luck!

Gunga
Gunga
That is an excellent lake to fish with dry flys. and micro jigs tipped with crappie nibbles aka fish crack. but my most productive means was dry flies at the back of the lake where it widens out again and just to the right where you launch at. There is some good sized trout in the lake. i was broken off a couple times.

D
dangerranger
Just fished it this morning. I was in a tube and had to call it a day early cause aparently i forgot my neoprene waders had a hole in the back side lol I havent used em in a while. Still managed to catch 4, kept 2 but there were fish jumping everywhere it was pretty wild. I almost had one jump into my float tube! Even saw a couple of steelhead....... yes steelhead jumping. I caught 3 on a olive size 12 wooly bugger and 1 on a size 12 hares ear nymph! Good luck to you!

W
wozniasm
Thanks for all the info guys. We had to cancel Thursday due to work issues but may try Saturday.

G
GDBrown
Sorry I missed this earlier. I have my best success with a damsel fly nymph just OFF the bottom or small blood worms (bright red) as well as chironomids. The last time I was there, about 4 weeks ago the ramp was blocked by logs and the guy in the toon had a hard time getting out after the wind shifted the logs again.

Good luck, I may see you there if I don't travel farther for my camping trip Thursday thur Saturday. Any suggestion of where to go?

W
wozniasm
GDBrown said:
Sorry I missed this earlier. I have my best success with a damsel fly nymph just OFF the bottom or small blood worms (bright red) as well as chironomids. The last time I was there, about 4 weeks ago the ramp was blocked by logs and the guy in the toon had a hard time getting out after the wind shifted the logs again.

Good luck, I may see you there if I don't travel farther for my camping trip Thursday thur Saturday. Any suggestion of where to go?

Haven't given camping much thought at this time. Coffenbury is nice this time of year and it has hold overs but the campsites are manicured which is not my cup of tea. It does provide the lake and the mouth of the Columbia for fishing and there's several other lakes within a short distance. Just put up your food at night due to raccoons!
The upper Nestucca has a few campsites and it's a beautiful ride. Try Rocky Bend Campground.
Rocky Bend - N 45° 14.682 W 123° 36.785
40710 Upper Nestucca River Rd

T
troutmasta
wozniasm said:
Considering hitting Lost Lake with a co-worker this week after work.
Any hints on how to fish it? We'll be in our toons.

I caught 96 stockers with a buddy a few years back under bobber and worm. we used 4 dozen night crawlers and then started catching them on cheese puffs and white cheddar popcorn. This time of year there are so many fish in that lake you could literally jig a shiny hook and get one I bet. I do however love to chase those big palnted steel with a leech patttern or something way out on the back side. Got one one year w a sand shrimp and bobber. Good Luck -TM

W
wozniasm
troutmasta said:
I caught 96 stockers with a buddy a few years back under bobber and worm. we used 4 dozen night crawlers and then started catching them on cheese puffs and white cheddar popcorn. This time of year there are so many fish in that lake you could literally jig a shiny hook and get one I bet. I do however love to chase those big palnted steel with a leech patttern or something way out on the back side. Got one one year w a sand shrimp and bobber. Good Luck -TM

Thanks TM!
Heading out tomorrow - been a long time since I've been out and need the break badly!

G
GDBrown
Well it is early afternoon so I guess it is late enought to go fishing now. :lol: I think I'll go to my favorite coast range lake. Hope you are there Woz, I'm bringing my float tube today because I want to make sure the logs are out of the way before I haul the drifter up there.

Hope everyone is having a good day on the water.

GD

W
wozniasm
GDBrown said:
Well it is early afternoon so I guess it is late enought to go fishing now. :lol: I think I'll go to my favorite coast range lake. Hope you are there Woz, I'm bringing my float tube today because I want to make sure the logs are out of the way before I haul the drifter up there.

Hope everyone is having a good day on the water.

GD

Did we miss each other GD?
I hope it wasn't you with the float tube, wife and three dogs I talked to before leaving... Probably not since you would have seen my OFF sticker on the truck.

Got there about 8 and left about 2:30.
Great morning - one other pontoon, two boats and three parties of bankers at 8. Four other tooners and couple more boats showed up about one. Never got really crowded - always had elbow room.
They started hitting my olive WB and after bringing in two, that went dead, changed to an an elk hare caddis which they really went aggressive on.
Just outside of the boat launch cove and towards the logs on the right were the hot spots.
Saw several Steelies cruising and at least a dozen trophies but none interested in 'people'ing (opposite of 'fish'ing).
The other tooners were there Friday and said they were much more active indicating they hooked up with 75.

A great day overall - pleasant ride, conversation with tooners, and caught well over a dozen for the day.
My first trip totally flyfishing even though I had everything under the sun on the toon except the jaccuzzi (pump went out on me). Not driving almost 2 hours and not have what they're biting on!
Limit taken home to smoke!

G
GDBrown
The lake may be lost but not the fish!

The lake may be lost but not the fish!

I must have arrived just after you left or was that you waiting to take out as I drove up. There was a guy having trouble getting his boat onto a trailer and two toons waiting to get OFF the water. You have a red toon, right. Were you with someone else in a toon? If so I talked to him at the launch but didn't stay long so maybe you were getting your truck. I went up and prepared to float for a while.

I got on the water after 3PM and stayed until I finally lost the fly that OTF tied for me last year at Trillium. It was pretty beat up as it was but I still managed 30 fish in three hours and I missed another dozen because I'm so slow. :lol: The fish were really active most of the afternoon / evening and I never did go past the middle of the lake. Everyone I talked to said they were taking home limits but I let all mine go this trip. There was a father son duo on pontoon boats and they did very well dragging spinners.

All in all if you had planned to go and didn't you really missed out on a great day of fishing. In fact it was so good I plan on returning Monday for some more, only I will take the "Little Blue Drifter" for one last outing before it goes to my son in Salt Lake.

W
wozniasm
GDBrown said:
I must have arrived just after you left or was that you waiting to take out as I drove up. There was a guy having trouble getting his boat onto a trailer and two toons waiting to get OFF the water. You have a red toon, right. Were you with someone else in a toon? If so I talked to him at the launch but didn't stay long so maybe you were getting your truck. I went up and prepared to float for a while.

I got on the water after 3PM and stayed until I finally lost the fly that OTF tied for me last year at Trillium. It was pretty beat up as it was but I still managed 30 fish in three hours and I missed another dozen because I'm so slow. :lol: The fish were really active most of the afternoon / evening and I never did go past the middle of the lake. Everyone I talked to said they were taking home limits but I let all mine go this trip. There was a father son duo on pontoon boats and they did very well dragging spinners.

All in all if you had planned to go and didn't you really missed out on a great day of fishing. In fact it was so good I plan on returning Monday for some more, only I will take the "Little Blue Drifter" for one last outing before it goes to my son in Salt Lake.

Nope, not me. There was another red toon (group of 4 guys). We must have passed each other on the road when I left.
You should have known it wasn't me... That guy in the other rod toon wasn't even close to being as pretty as me!
Glad you had good luck even without OTF's fly which is very productive.
The bankers all did well using spinners, bobbers and eggs, etc. Seemed like the fish weren't picky on what was OFFered...

G
GDBrown
Here are a couple of photos from the trip. First time trying to use my cell phone camera here.

1of30.jpg
This is one of thirty for the day.
Lost Lake5-5-12.jpg
As you can see I was all by myself by 6PM and the fish were still rising.

T
troutmasta
That lake is always on FIRE this time of year!!! Well done guys!

H
Hendo30
Thanks for sharing your stories and pics. Anyone out there know if Lost Lake holds any bass? Curious as I love trout but mainly target bass for some C&R fun. Also have never been out to Lost Lake and look forward to exploring a new body of water. Looks beautiful from the pics you guys have shared.

W
wozniasm
Hendo30 said:
Thanks for sharing your stories and pics. Anyone out there know if Lost Lake holds any bass? Curious as I love trout but mainly target bass for some C&R fun. Also have never been out to Lost Lake and look forward to exploring a new body of water. Looks beautiful from the pics you guys have shared.

I can't say one way or the other but with the amount of logs floating on the water and fallen into the water it would be a paradise for bass.

bass
bass
Thanks for sharing guys. I have added Lost Lake on my list of places to someday visit with my kayak. Looks like a really nice place. Does it fish well through the summer?

T
troutmasta
Hendo30 said:

I dont think there are any Ive fished lots of nightcrawlers around stucture there for years and never hooked one or heard of one being hooked. Also it get frozen over in the winter time.