Looking for electric motor advice

Aervax
Aervax
My ancient Motorguide electric motor finally kicked the bucket. It was 15 years old. Scanning the present emotor options it looks like a lot has changed. The bull#% is laid on thick enough that I have no idea what motor is quietest, most dependable or best value.

I need it to push my 16 foot long 40 inch wide Gheenoe, mostly on still water or gently moving rivers. It weighs about 120 pounds. The emotor will be primary propulsion. Back up is my back, arms and oars.

I like the idea of extra umph this time around. I am considering something in the range of 60 or 80 pounds of thrust, transom mount, short shaft. Budget for motor, batteries and charger is around 500.

Please share your experience with the different brands and set ups. At this point I am near ground zero. Any and all information is going to help.

1 nut in the water
50# Minn kota pushes my glass 16' drift boat all day long with ease. Picked it up on sale at bimart for $180.

E
eugene1
I've got a Minnkota bow mount 80# that moves my 18' sled really well. No complaints about the quality either.

I think a single battery setup would probably move your boat fine though, with two batteries there's lots of weight.

Good luck,

Aervax
Aervax
Thanks gents. There are 2 votes for Minnkota.

I was debating 1 battery or 2. The boat is trailered. I am an XL. My wife and 2 labradors frequently ride along. The Gheenoe is relatively stable. More tippy than a row boat, but less tippy than a canoe. It kind of looks like a hybrid of the 2.

The dogs add to the tippy factor more than anything. They need to look at and smell everything alon the way. They change sides and view points constantly.

Extra batteries mean more weight, but that is weight with a lower center of gravity than me and the dogs. Do you think the battery weight could improve stability?

Last edited:
E
eugene1
Aervax said:
Extra batteries mean more weight, but that is weight with a lower center of gravity than me and the dogs. Do you think the battery weight could improve stability?

You could be right about that. Just make sure you're not overloading it so that you take on water from waves or wakes. The two battery motors are more $ too.

Best,

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I have played around with several Minnkota motors recently, 30# basic, 45# salt water, 45# with digital maximizer...I been taking them apart, swapping heads and lower units, shortened one for my kayak...I like Minnkota's, no problems, the digital maximizer is a good deal, variable speed and much better battery life, strongly suggest going with that, I have had no issues using normal Minnkota motors in salt water, just soak the lower unit in fresh water for an hour or so after using in the salt...

I have also worked a lot with AGM batteries, I have one inside my kayak hull and 3 on the PB, these pack a lot of power and if you get the correct versions they can tolerate well an occasional very deep cycle, but charging must be done correctly.

D
DirectDrive
Minn Kota

Maximizer-yes

55#-yes...get the most power available

12 volt-yes

Variable speed-absolutely yes if you want to troll and is part/parcel of the Maximer system

If you go over 55# thrust you are into the 24v models.
With the 12v 55# you are getting max power on a 12v system.
And you can carry a fresh, reserve battery.

I've done many, many hours slow trolling for Springers and used a 3HP Minn Kota (DC'ed), similar to 55# (12v) and always carried a spare batt.
One batt (group 27 deep cycle) would troll for 8-12 hours depending on current/wind.

Tech Tip:
A section of 1" automotive heater hose makes an excellent tiller extension for these motors.
A 24" section allows me to (sit)stand amidships and run the motor.
Very cool.
(measure your app before you buy)

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
I use a 55 lb min kota to push my 16 ft clack with 2 people and gear, works great.. As far as batterys, my sears die hards worked ok, but switching to a marine deep cycle Dyno i never run out of juice.

M
mlw
A 70lb 24v pushes my 12' drift boat around very well - only ran out of juice once, fighting a big tide :)
2 AGM's add 100lb, but like the range.
Michael

Aervax
Aervax
You guys have given some awesome advice. I can now start looking and pricing and get that boat on the water again. So the maximizer is leading the pack. The only thing that might sway me is extra thrust for better speed going against current.

D
DirectDrive
Aervax said:
You guys have given some awesome advice. I can now start looking and pricing and get that boat on the water again. So the maximizer is leading the pack. The only thing that might sway me is extra thrust for better speed going against current.
Not sure what you mean.
If you want more than 55# thrust you have to go 24v (2ea 12v batts)
Maximizer is available on those motors as well.

Top Bottom