lol my first fly

Outdoor_Myers
Ok so Im bored the lady is at work I decided to make a fly. All I had was old fishing gear new mustard hooks size 6 bronze and a size 8 black i think, green sewing thread lol and an old rusted jig with weedless thing i cut off. once the lady gets home I will take pics of them and post them lol.
 
FishFinger
Looking forward to seeing your creation.
 
Outdoor_Myers
FishFinger said:
Looking forward to seeing your creation.

its crazy man! not sure what it looks like lol but some of the ugliest things catches the most lol, anyways pics may not be up till tomorrow sometime :)
 
bigsteel
lets see!!!!!!!!!!whats a mustard hook:lol::lol::lol::lol:
 
Outdoor_Myers
bigsteel said:
lets see!!!!!!!!!!whats a mustard hook:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Mustad* lol and i dont have a camera :( im sooo sorry
 
Outdoor_Myers
0122102234-00.jpg
 
TTFishon
I could see a hatchery trout hitting that for sure and I know a bluegill would.
 
Outdoor_Myers
not sure if I did any of it correctly lol I used sewing thread, no tools all by hand, and probably the wrong type of hooks however it was fun and exciting, not sure if my thread knots will hold up or not lol
 
bigsteel
thats how patterns start, an idea....looks good , fish em:D:D
 
Outdoor_Myers
bigsteel said:
thats how patterns start, an idea....looks good , fish em:D:D

once i get a fly rod and learn how to not sure if they will float or sink lol or anything I was just bored lol and decided to see what I could do :) I got a nice magazine in the mail today with tons of awesome stuff to make your own lures :)
 
bigdog
I think they look good and willing to bet they will catch something. You don't have to have a fly rod to fish them, plenty of people use normal rods and a jig bober to fish with flies.

Twisting spinners is fun man, I love twisting spinners. Can come up with a lot of different patterns and when a fish hits something you made, I love it. I'm going to start making jigs pretty soon here.
 
Outdoor_Myers
bigdog said:
I think they look good and willing to bet they will catch something. You don't have to have a fly rod to fish them, plenty of people use normal rods and a jig bober to fish with flies.

Twisting spinners is fun man, I love twisting spinners. Can come up with a lot of different patterns and when a fish hits something you made, I love it. I'm going to start making jigs pretty soon here.

Yeah Im going to make inline spinners and french spinners! I really love using jerk baits crankbaits and jigs
 
bigdog
Outdoor_Myers said:
Yeah Im going to make inline spinners and french spinners! I really love using jerk baits crankbaits and jigs

Yeah so do I. Oh who am I joking I just love to use what ever there is as long as I'm fishing.
 
FishFinger
You used the right pupa hook for your nymph pattern. All and all for your first fly it's not too bad. I hope you stay with it. As your able to acquire a collection of traditional trying equipment, each fly you tie go quicker and look even better.

Your right tho ugly ones seem to catch fish, while pretty one catch fishermen.. (which are harder to fit into the smoker)
 
OnTheFly
One of the easiest flies to tie is a Teeny Nymph and the fly you made resembles one. Teeny Nymphs are made with pheasant tail fibers in natural and dyed colors. No fly fisherman should leave home without an assortment of these. They will catch salmon, trout, and steelhead. If you plan to start tying your own flies, the Teeny Nymph is a good pattern to start with.:)
YouTube - Tying the Teeny Nymph
Teeny Nymph
 
Outdoor_Myers
FishFinger said:
You used the right pupa hook for your nymph pattern. All and all for your first fly it's not too bad. I hope you stay with it. As your able to acquire a collection of traditional trying equipment, each fly you tie go quicker and look even better.

Your right tho ugly ones seem to catch fish, while pretty one catch fishermen.. (which are harder to fit into the smoker)

lol which one is the nymph pattern? the black mustad hook one? or the larger bronze mustad hook one?
 
Irishrover
I'd be more than happy to put one of those on the end of my line. My first creations were a little ruff but they caught fish. I use to worry about how the flies had to be almost perfect and would get frustrated with my work. Then I was fishing on the Deschutes when the salmon fly hatch was going on. Those darn trout were going after small part of leaves and even twigs that the wind would drop in the water from the over hanging alder trees. I tied up a black callibaetis that look like junk. I based it on a callibaetis spakling dun pattern. I was fishing the Crooked River and though what the hell give it a try. I'm serious this thing was ugly by any standard but the fish loved it. Just tie'm and fly'm let the fish be the judge.

Now I think I'll go tie some of those Teeny Nymphs that OnetheFly posted maybe even put a little lead wrap on them. ;)
 
bigdog
Yeah I would have to say I agree with everyone, fish will hit some of the ugliest things out there. Most the things on the racks at sports store and what not are more geared to attract fisherman not fish. Make it pretty they will buy it. Face it fish don't have money :lol:
 
Oncorhynchus
That flies got bluegill written all over it nice job for your first attempt a lot better then my first one keep at it nothing like the feeling of catching fish on flys you tie.
 
Top Bottom