Little creek action

S
Spydeyrch
So I shot down to a little local creek yesterday about 4:30pm, while my wife and kids were taking a nap, hehehehe :lol:

I went over to a common area first. The water was a little bit higher than what I had thought it would be. I had just barely started getting setup when a Hillsboro Police Officer came strolling over. He asked me a few questions, didn't believe me that there were fish in the creek and that I would catch them on a fly, then wished me good luck and took off. He didn't even check for my license! hahahahaha

So, I started there and fished it for a few moments. I kept getting snags in the trees. Plus for some strange reason, I didn't bring my waders so I was limited to bank fishing. :(

After a while, I hiked through the trees and bushes to get to a lookoutt section. I hiked down to the water but couldn't find any good spots for me to start at due to not having waders.

So I hiked back around the long way to the common area. As I got there, a bunch of dogs, and people arrived and started playing in the water.

I took off my boots and socks, rolled up my jeans and waded into the water. I cast a little here and there and but didn't get even a single rise. Probably due to the people playing up stream from me.

So I put my boots back on and hiked around for a little bit. I decided to go back to the one spot last year that I caught two small 6 and 7 inchers. But as I got there, there was a new fence!! :shock: I couldn't get past the fence. :(

So I went down to the stream a little down stream from last years place. I watched the water a little and saw three small rises, but they were definitively fish!!! I cast out to them but it was difficult due to the bushes and plus I was standing on a 4 inches wide strip of slippery mud! hahahaha

After about 3 casts, I was finally able to get out to the fish's location!! On the first cast getting out to them, BAM!! Fish on!!!!

It was a nice 9.5 or 10 inch wild cuttie!! But it looked like it might have been a hybrid cut-bow due to some of it's spots and coloring. But it was beautiful!! I caught it on a size 18 or 20 red humpy. Nice fish!!! It was let go unharmed. :dance::clap:

I cast a few more times out to that area but no other rises. So I left. It was a productive day. 2 hours on the water and 1 nice size fish for the type of water! :D

Take care.

-Spydey

Last edited:
S
skunk
Humpies are fun to fish. I like tossing cool looking flies out and watching them get hammered.

R
R.Gertken
I love that kind of flyfishing. Thanks for sharing your story. That's a pretty nice size cut.

V
Van
Dairy Creek?