Little Bass

K
ketts05
Went down to the Truax Island Greenway yesterday morning just to try out a new spinning rig I had bought (first one I've ever actually owned and not just borrowed from friends, family, etc). Was throwing a white rooster tail with a black skirt and on my third cast caught this little guy hanging out under some blackberries.
Bass '11.jpg
Obviously not very big but my first bass ever caught. Two casts later of course I lost that particular lure to the same blackberry bush he was hiding under. Later I lost another to a submerged tree. Can't tell if it is a good omen or a bad for the new set-up but I wasn't too disappointed.

K
Kevinb5688
Its a good start, congrats on your first bass. Try a small spinnerbait there. 1$ at wal-mart. Shouldnt snag as much stuff.

T
tomriker
Once I got tired of losing gear on submerged stuff so I threw on 50pound braid, so now I have bent hooks :)

M
micah_man1
Congrats on getting your first bass! Keep trying out there, I've seen some pigs caught there. Btw, did you happen to notice any rabbits while you were out there? I'm still in the mood for BBQd bunny...

K
ketts05
Thanks for the advice and encouragement. Actually I didn't see any rabbits out there this time but there were tons of hawks about so maybe they knew better. I think next time I'll avoid the bushes for a spell and cover a little more water before I commit to losing gear.

F
Finneus Polebender
ketts05 said:
Thanks for the advice and encouragement. Actually I didn't see any rabbits out there this time but there were tons of hawks about so maybe they knew better. I think next time I'll avoid the bushes for a spell and cover a little more water before I commit to losing gear.

Start fishin weedless and stay in the cover if your into bass.