Line?

D

dude young

Quick! I am finally biting the bullet and ordering a new rig. It's a 8'6" Med. action 8-12 rod with a Shimano Saros 3000 reel. I was thinking about trying out the Maxima Chameleon line. What do you rec. for line weight? I am not afraid of light line, but would 8 lb be way too light for the possible salmon hook up?

Also, any thoughts on color? Does the red have any love here?

Or, is there a totally different line I should be looking at?

Thanks all!

L

luv2fish

If your saying salmon which i'm assuming the next salmon in line with season is coho or what we call silvers...i usually stick with 12# maxima, takes abrasions well, other than the test which these acrobatic fighters put to your line.

D

dude young

okay, so i placed the order. i went with 8 pound maxima UG. I will probably spool 12 pounds of the same on the spare spool to round it out and cover the rods range.

thanks melutrout, i think i read through that thread once, and just didn't even think to search it out this morning.

well, now i sit and wait for my new toy.

M

meluvtrout

okay, so i placed the order. i went with 8 pound maxima UG. I will probably spool 12 pounds of the same on the spare spool to round it out and cover the rods range.

thanks melutrout, i think i read through that thread once, and just didn't even think to search it out this morning.

well, now i sit and wait for my new toy.

Good call! I use 10#maxima UG on one spool and #20lb powerpro braided moss green on the other...

L

lizardman

I have used Maxima chameleon 10# with success, but after a large salmon (41 inch Chinook) I had to strip so much of the line off the reel and throw it away due to it being stretched that I use the 10# as leader and use 15# as the main line.

I also am experimenting with a bobber rod using 30# braided made by Shakespear (same diameter as 10# mono) with a bobber and sinker tied above a snap swivel and then 12# flourocarbon line from the swivel to a hook or to a jig.

When it comes to Monofillament line I try to purchase only Maxima brand lines as I have had very good results with it.

Dave

Top Bottom