LargemouthBass Not Biting?!?!?!

T
Troutier Bassier
SO I was just at salish ponds right and there were these 2 guys on a rock. i say catch anything and they say that they see a big largemouth. So i call my friend over and we start trying to catch them , there were 4 of them at least and they were all just swimming around near the shore on the grass line. (Its kinda grass stuff that grows out of water? dont know the name) and so I put on a bluegill and my buddy puts on a worm. so we were there for 20 good minutes until i had to leave to go eat. But still We couldent even get them to bite. So Can i get some help on what to do. I think they were eating some bugs or something in the weeds. Anyhelp on what to do??? Oh yea and I was informed just now that There were little fish swimming near it. the happened to be bass. about 10-15 inches, but the bigger ones were there and they were at least 20+!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
Troutier Bassier said:
SO I was just at salish ponds right and there were these 2 guys on a rock. i say catch anything and they say that they see a big largemouth. So i call my friend over and we start trying to catch them , there were 4 of them at least and they were all just swimming around near the shore on the grass line. (Its kinda grass stuff that grows out of water? dont know the name) and so I put on a bluegill and my buddy puts on a worm. so we were there for 20 good minutes until i had to leave to go eat. But still We couldent even get them to bite. So Can i get some help on what to do. I think they were eating some bugs or something in the weeds. Anyhelp on what to do??? Oh yea and I was informed just now that There were little fish swimming near it. the happened to be bass. about 10-15 inches, but the bigger ones were there and they were at least 20+!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's the post spawn blues. The smaller bass were probably the males. There might be a nest or two nearby that they are guarding. Good luck getting them to bite. Just my 2 cents.

T
Troutier Bassier
what if i run a crankbait into thier nests, wil it pi** them off enought to bite?

Last edited by a moderator:
T
TTFishon
Maybe but I'd try to be stealth about it. They also might not be hitting because they can see and hear you.

T
Troutier Bassier
They arent scared of me at all. i threw a giant bobber on top of one and it hardly moved it is also in about 2-1 feet of water so not very deep.

B
Bass Ackwards
I read in another post if they see you even if they aren't scared of ustill think somethin is up and won't bite. Maybe you should try to sneak up on them. I was tryin to catch this bass the other day and it was right under me. in like a foot of water and it wouldnt bite anything. The next night I went there and casted where I knew it was at and it bit on the 3rd cast. Also I think they feed a lot more when the sun starts goin down. the last few Ive caught have been after 8 pm.

T
TTFishon
They might not be scared of you but they are smarter than you might think. Does this place get a lot of pressure? If so I'd give it a stealthy try first thing in the morning. If you have school then go Saturday morning. You could try in the evening but if there's a lot of people that fish there then odds are the bass have seen enough of a selection of baits thrown at them that they will be wary of what you have to offer. If you go first thing in the morning then your bait will be the first one of the day they see. Then they might be more apt to strike.

T
Troutier Bassier
I have school tomarrow and im not willing to wake up THAT early o go fishing. so i will go after school until 7, 7:30 if im luckey. I will use plastics and run crankbaits past them to get them to strike. I will use bluegill for bait or use tubes. whtever worjs

B
bassman503
Troutier Bassier said:

where is this spot at? Is it near the dock or...

T
Troutier Bassier
yes it is near the dock. closer to the stream where there is a big rock and the weeds are on your left.

B
bassman503
Troutier Bassier said:
yes it is near the dock. closer to the stream where there is a big rock and the weeds are on your left.

Oh.. Near the pipes in the water right?

T
Troutier Bassier
Yeah, right there. where the weeds are. of the point there wee bout 4 GIANT largemouth there.

O
OBP Turtle 33
The little fish around it had to of been fry that are oblivious that thier dad is starving and will turn on them any day now HAHA Those fish really arent going to eat if they see you standing there throwing to them cause hundreds of other before you have done the same exact thing. Next low pressure system that moves through will have those fish feeding again (during the day) I am not to sure how clear the water is but most of the bigger bass will be eating at night and the most effective away to target them will be during cloudy, rainy, windy weather. Also with stable weather early morning will be the best time; late evening could be good but most people have thrown at the fish all day and they know what most lures look like. If the pond is open for night fishing I would say tie on a huge black worm, spinner bait, or any topwater that can be fished effectivley at night and throw it around 12am through the morning and that would be your best bet at a big bass from any pond in Oregon.

T
TTFishon
See that's two of us with the same solution. I think you should get up early and be there right as the sun is coming up if it's a safe place to be for a kid your age. You can always take a nap afterwards.

T
Troutier Bassier
I WILL do both of those sometime, just not this weekend cause im going shad fishing on sat/sun

F
fishndad
its not that they are scared, they are lethargic! these fish if they notice anything different, or iffy about something they will not open there mouths! u will see the professional tourny fisher's and they will say the same thing. now think of it this way, there was two guys fishing for them right before you. then you and your freind are fishing for them, tyhey are seeing a lot of different lures and stuff. my suggestion is get some polarized glasses, stand far back and search these fish. if you see them cast about 10+ ft ahead of them and then try!

O
OBP Turtle 33
Also get the most realistic looking bluegill/other forage fish lure you can find and stand far back put this lure into the area the fish are sitting and let it sit there "deadstick" do this for a long perios of time. I have caught bass after letting a lure lay motionless for more than 20 miunutes. Its painful but can be worth it after awhile they swim up on that bait the water they push should move it somewhat and they just decide to eat it.

Reactions: Fishtopher
F
fishndad
OBP Turtle 33 said:
Also get the most realistic looking bluegill/other forage fish lure you can find and stand far back put this lure into the area the fish are sitting and let it sit there "deadstick" do this for a long perios of time. I have caught bass after letting a lure lay motionless for more than 20 miunutes. Its painful but can be worth it after awhile they swim up on that bait the water they push should move it somewhat and they just decide to eat it.

you could also try a storm swimming bluegill! throw em far and when you get near the bass, make the retreive frantic! try fast and slow approaches, bass will usualy eat the bluegill near a nest because the bluegill threaten the nests

Reactions: Fishtopher