kwik fish & flat fish

F
Fishtopher
Can someone tell me the difference between a kwikfish and a flatfish?
Edit: Uhh never mind...for those that dont know, its the name thats different I guess. Same type of plugs. Different companies.

Last edited:
O
osmosis
They both have a "perfect" water speed to be fished in, and the speed for each is different. Both are for pretty slow water.
There's more than just the name that's different.

F
Fishtopher
Ok. Gonna leave me hangin?

I thought that the size of the plug was dictated by the water speed, not the brand name.

O
osmosis
yes, the size does change it mildly. but they are two different plugs.

I am going to leave you hanging on the correct speeds. That takes hundreds of rod hours to perfect and I wont just pass it on.

I will tell you that I use kwikfish for salmon, and flatfish for steelhead. (partially because of the size they come in too)

Last edited:
F
Fishtopher
osmosis said:
yes, the size does change it mildly. but they are two different plugs.

I am going to leave you hanging on the correct speeds. That takes hundreds of rod hours to perfect and I wont just pass it on.

I will tell you that I use kwikfish for salmon, and flatfish for steelhead.

As much as I hate to hear that, as soon as I read it, it brought a smile to my face. As for why, hehe, that's a whole 'nother thread...

I likely will never put in more than 30 hours on these plugs. I was just readin' today about people pullin' 'em from bank like a spinner. Peaked the curiosity. I'll leave it at that.

O
osmosis
sorry man..

swinging plugs from the bank can be deadly.
I do it with hot shots, tad pollys, and wiggle warts on the clack.

kwikfish and flatfish are best backtrolled (for salmon and steel) and there simply aren't as many places from the bank to do that. some points are great and you can stand on the tip of them and walk the plug down the seam. The other option is obviously wading.

plug fishing is where a big piece of fiberglass or aluminum comes in very handy.

F
Fishtopher
osmosis said:
sorry man..

swinging plugs from the bank can be deadly.
I do it with hot shots, tad pollys, and wiggle warts on the clack.

kwikfish and flatfish are best backtrolled (for salmon and steel) and there simply aren't as many places from the bank to do that. some points are great and you can stand on the tip of them and walk the plug down the seam. The other option is obviously wading.

plug fishing is where a big piece of fiberglass or aluminum comes in very handy.

No worries man...I have probably worked more than the hundred hours tossin hot shots and wiggle warts!! Just not the kwiks and flats. Big time hits with the afore mentioned plugs! Its a hoot to watch my 8'6 dance with a wiggle wart! While fishing them, I get a lotta weird looks, especially when combat fishing at your local battlefield when the springers are runnin. Guys gotta get thier plug on!

K
Kodiak
Me Too

Me Too

Fishtopher said:
No worries man...I have probably worked more than the hundred hours tossin hot shots and wiggle warts!! Just not the kwiks and flats. Big time hits with the afore mentioned plugs! Its a hoot to watch my 8'6 dance with a wiggle wart! While fishing them, I get a lotta weird looks, especially when combat fishing at your local battlefield when the springers are runnin. Guys gotta get thier plug on!

Love fishing plugs from the bank!... If you ever want to live really dangerous try runnin a hotshot or wiggle wart about 24" behind a weight slightly too heavy to drift fish. The plug will "pull" the weight down the cast into run. The heavier weight will cause the plug to work fairly quickly through the run, and slow the action just a bit.

The main difference between Kwik fish and flatfish other than the speed they fish at is what they refer to as "search". Each plug has a tight wiggle action, then will make an eratic movement left or right of center anywhere from 2" to 8". Kwikfish have a tighter action and smaller search than a flatfish. Flat fish have a wider search. I prefer to use flat fish if I'm trolling and kwikfish If I'm plunking. Hope that helps.

F
FishSchooler
I have one question too... why are they like 7-11 bucks per? The wiggle warts (at joes) are a lot cheaper, same with hot shots I think, but the kwikies are like so expensive. Or am I just shopping at the wrong place? :think:

F
Fishtopher
Now were talkin! So does anyone change the hooks on their plugs, or omit a hook altogether? Or run the bead chains down to hook on the belly or the tail? You guys try puttin a wrap on a smaller kwik or flat? I dug some up outta the depths. Gotta few X5's and a couple U20's. They are too small for Chinook I would know, but anyone know what they ARE good for?

F
FishSchooler
Nevermind... just went to joes to get some water shoes for bro and they are 4.50 each. Still expensive though. And on the way back at rite aid, a branch fell on the wire and it shorted the circuit and the transformer blew up... yikes scary. It was really bright a blue for 5 seconds and sparks were flying everywhere...

I need to pay attention too because I know nothing about plugs at the moment.

K
Kodiak
Hook change

Hook change

Fishtopher said:
Now were talkin! So does anyone change the hooks on their plugs, or omit a hook altogether? Or run the bead chains down to hook on the belly or the tail? You guys try puttin a wrap on a smaller kwik or flat? I dug some up outta the depths. Gotta few X5's and a couple U20's. They are too small for Chinook I would know, but anyone know what they ARE good for?

I put a three bead chain on the back of my kwikfish witha single 2/0 siwash. but just on my k14'2,15's and 16's for 'nooks. I don't mess with the front hook and have never done it to a flatfish. It will seriously increase your hookup to take ratio.
I'm not sure about the sizes but I think they are close to the steelie sizes. I don't think I would mess with the hooks on them though.

P.S. Don't forget to Tune them. You want them to track strait behind the end of the rod. Use a pair of needlenose pliers. A slight twist to the left or right on the eyelet for tying is usually all that needs to be done. Another trick is to make sure the eyelet on the underside of the belly is running parallel to the body of the plug. If it's not twist it so that it is, and then superglue it into place.

Last edited:
F
Fishtopher
Now I see guys tying their line directly to the Kwik, but I see other guys usin plug swivels, like I use for my WiggleWarts. What do you do?

O
osmosis
Tuning is an absolute must.
Out of everyone I have ever fished with, I have only ran into 2 people that truly know how to tune a plug correctly. Adjusting the eye you attach your line to is just a small part of the picture. Orientation of the eyes on the belly of the plug has some to do with it, but is not the real balance issue.

A Duo-lock snap is the way to go, not swivel.
unless you are trying to fish water too fast for your plug - it will not "blow up" (spin) and require a swivel.

K
Kodiak
Dou Lock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dou Lock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotsa have a Duo Lock swivels are a must on kwickfish and flatfish. They will help provide a better action allowing the plug to move more freely. I know guys who tie strait to the swivel and don't catch nearly as many fish.