Knots for braid

C_Run
C_Run
The subject of braid has been hashed over quite a bit but my question is pretty simple. I'm setting up a rod for trolling for fall Chinook and will be using braided mainline for the first time. What's the best knot or knots to use? I've only used mono before and use the improved clinch knot for just about everything and gotten by so far. I don't want to lose that first "big" fish or $20 worth of gear because I didn't know the right knot to use. Thanks.

Reactions: Raincatcher
F
flipper
San Diego Jam Knot - Devised for tuna fishing: http://www.netknots.com/html/san_diego_jam_knot.html

Seriousloy, this knot is supreme for any type of line. Taught by my father, by his father who originated in Long Beach, CA. Double this knot up and you won't have ANY problems, period.

F
flipper
BTW, I've always been taught 5x loop for mono-filament at 8lbs test line. The thicker the less loop you need. Typically I stick with 4x loop when dealing with braided, just for safety sake.

Edit: While chinook fishing, I ALWAYS double my San Diego Jam knot. See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H2OtZ6F1dw

Last edited:
Reactions: Raincatcher
C
capblack
nail knot. google it

R
RunWithSasquatch
I recomend a mono backer for your braid, ive seen it slip on spools a few times.

J
jawjacker
[video]http://youtu.be/w1M2jqksXe8[/video]The double palomar is the knot I would recomend to replace the improved clinch knot when tying braid. It's extremely strong and will not slip plus it's super quick & easy to tie. When spooling up it can be challenging to get your first few wraps on the spool but when you do the most important thing when spooling up with braid is it has to be spooled up as tight as possible so that the line is packed hard on the spool. This helps to prevent the line from digging into your spool and causing you to loose a fish due to a broken line or pulled hooks. For salmon I would recomend at least 50lb+ braid because of the slightly larger diameter it will resist digging much better. Braid also has no stretch so set you drag looser than you typically would with mono. Your rod should also be long and have a parabolic action but that's getting off topic. Their is a small learning curve when it comes to using braid correctly but I hope this helps out.

S
steelheadstalker31
The second strongest knot is the fish-n-fool, there is one stronger, but I don't remember its name. All the above work fine but are not as strong as the fish-n-fool.

A
Airs98
Most braid manufacturers recommend the Palomar knot. Can't go wrong with it.

J
jawjacker
The second strongest knot is the fish-n-fool, there is one stronger, but I don't remember its name. All the above work fine but are not as strong as the fish-n-fool.
Well I guess it takes one to know one. LOL even though I never heard of it.

C_Run
C_Run
Thanks everyone. I checked the videos and will take all this under advisement. Got a roll of 50# tuff line and will probably get a chance to go try all this out the week after next. In the meantime, I'll practice my knot making skills.

C
chrisohm
Airs98 said:
Most braid manufacturers recommend the Palomar knot. Can't go wrong with it.

I second that. Sometimes I double it up for bigger fish but this knot is the easiest knot to tie anywhere. I have pulled huge tree limbs out of the water with this knot on my gear with 15lb braid.