Kickin off winter Steelhead!

C
Chedster
After hearing all the weekend reports I just had take a break from studying and get out! Got a nice buck on a small jig before switching to eggs. Only the coho were interested in the eggs so back to the trusty old jig and banked a hen to end my morning. Got to test my new Rainshadow center pin rod out and am very impressed with how it fished. Back to studying for me and looking forward to fishing again Friday. Good luck out there!

Last edited by a moderator:
H
halibuthitman
wow... that is one bad *** fishing outfit! and it appears to work too! might want to keep that thing under cover, you don't want every float fisherman to start doubling their catch ratio!;) .... oh, and the fish are nice too:D

T
Throbbit _Shane
nice fish!!!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
great fish!!!

F
FishFiddle
Those are some great photos and one nasty looking rig. I'd say that is one productive morning. What is that reel??

D
dan88
Nice!

C
Chedster
FishFiddle said:
Those are some great photos and one nasty looking rig. I'd say that is one productive morning. What is that reel??

The reel is a Okuma sheffield. Center pin reels are usually $400 plus, this reels is half that and a great reel so far. I did upgrade the bearings to ceramics and it spins forever.

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice catch! We lost a 18+ lber Right at the bank after a 20 minute battle today.

A
alm21
Chedster said:
The reel is a Okuma sheffield. Center pin reels are usually $400 plus, this reels is half that and a great reel so far. I did upgrade the bearings to ceramics and it spins forever.

Productive day away from the books! Curious as I'm looking to put a float setup together... What line weight are you using on that Okuma and how long of a pole are you using on your setup?

C
Chedster
10lb pline cxx mono for mainline and a 10"6" rod. I used to run braid on my spin setups and forgot how versatile mono is when float fishing. The cxx floats very well and offers tons of stretch to protect your leader. It's the only line I have yet to use on the pin and have no reason to switch, it's good stuff.

M
michigan_transplant
Thuggin4Life said:
Nice catch! We lost a 18+ lber Right at the bank after a 20 minute battle today.

Those are heartbreakers

A
alm21
Chedster said:
10lb pline cxx mono for mainline and a 10"6" rod. I used to run braid on my spin setups and forgot how versatile mono is when float fishing. The cxx floats very well and offers tons of stretch to protect your leader. It's the only line I have yet to use on the pin and have no reason to switch, it's good stuff.

Nice. I wonder how Hydrofloat would perform on the center pin reel?

C
Chedster
I love Pline products except for Hydrofloat. Tried it couple of years ago and was disappointed. If you want to go braid, give fireline a try. I know some people use it on their pins and like it. I use the fireline crystal on my spinning reels and may try it on the pin.