Keeping sturgeon off

B
bubs
So I posted a few weeks back about catching my first sturgeon. Since then I've gone a number of times and it's been relatively easy pickings. It's actually getting to the point where it's almost too easy.

And especially considering the number of sturgeon that I've seen broken off or mishandled out there, and the few that I've had to break off because of snags, I'm kind of getting turned off to the idea of fishing them that way...it seems very destructive! I feel like you need a boat and quite heavy tackle to really handle them respectfully. Those big breeders are definitely getting unduly stressed out there!

But I am still interested in targeting the perch, catfish, walleye, and carp that I know are fairly common in this system. If you guys wanted to fish small bait (e.g. worms) but wanted to keep the sturgeon off, how would you do it?

I know I could use light leaders and break them off if I hook a sturgeon, but regardless of what people say about hooks coming out or rusting out, I just don't buy that 100%. Things just don't rust that fast and fish don't have the ability to easily get the right angles on the hooks to rub them out.

I've tried using small hooks, as small as I can fit a worm on, but I still end up hooking sturgeon (after a 15 min fight with a 3.5 footer on 6 lb test and a tiny salmon egg hook, I decided this wasn't the ticket!).

So, any other suggestions out there??

B
Big3d
Get a fishing buddy with terrible luck, they will help ypu not catch anymore sturgeon. May cause you to not catch any of the others too though. ;)

B
BaldTexan
If you are bottom fishing with bait, or even hardware with scent, on the Columbia or the Willamette - you WILL catch sturgeon.

bass
bass
I agree with BaldTexan. There are so many sturgeon they are hard to avoid.

The only thing you can do to reduce the number of sturgeon bites is to fish areas where they are less prevalent. If you are fishing a shelf in 10-20' of water you will not come across as many sturgeon as if you are tossing into 40-50' of water. There are plenty of the species you seek in the shallower water. Sturgeon eat the same stuff the fish you are chasing do so those species will naturally seek out areas where they are not out-competed and pushed out by larger fish.

B
bubs
Big3d said:
Get a fishing buddy with terrible luck, they will help ypu not catch anymore sturgeon. May cause you to not catch any of the others too though. ;)

Haha nice! So this actually works; I took a friend out there a few weeks ago who always gets her line tangled and has poor luck in general. And I was indeed spending all of my time fixing her rig and helping her fight them so I didn't catch anything....good thought good thought

C
clemdawg
I've never fished for them but heard they put up a good fight. Is that true? Would love to fish for them some time.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

J
Jordy
The fact that you are asking tells us your heart is in th right place.

Beyond that the use of barbless hooks and gear that is heavy enough the land them is the next best bet.

Sturgeon are very hardy fish. Known to live for many hours out of water but you have your head in the right place. Swallowing a small rig with a treble hook would be a problem.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

K
Kardoctor
We caught 3 in 16 feet of water they re not found this shallow
but they where feeding and this is where the bait was
we return them in perfect condition but I have see a couple of fish I don't think made it long
glad we caught them on single hooks but most of the time they are in deep water and easy target

J
Jordy
Depth is relative as well. During the harvest era of past, most fish were caught in the estuary in 10-30 fow

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
I have found that using anything with anise on your bait will hold off sturgeon. Maybe just luck but I don't think so.

Cheers,

Chris

E
espencer757
Um, bare hook and a good book. Sometimes just relaxing while waiting for the bite is the best part.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

C
clemdawg
espencer757 said:
Um, bare hook and a good book. Sometimes just relaxing while waiting for the bite is the best part.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I concur. Like to drag a radio while I relax and wait.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

B
BaldTexan
MrGrumpFish said:
I have found that using anything with anise on your bait will hold off sturgeon. Maybe just luck but I don't think so.

Cheers,

Chris

I hooked a very large oversize sturgeon on a Maglip scented with anise gel.....but I wouldn't expect to catch any on purpose with that method.

K
Kardoctor
New sim rad Gps has radio tuner module which is cool radio built in the fish finder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk