July 14: razors and crab.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
super low tides exposed razor clams this week that are underwater almost all the time and there are lots of crabs in close. This guy wanted to fight with me as I waded across an inlet, not his best decision but he is just a crab. lol

JAa3r4J.jpg

QlylIJz.jpg

Reactions: O. mykiss and troutdude
Diehard
Diehard
Man what a bounty you have were your at looks delicious đź‘Ť

Reactions: rogerdodger
B
BassCatPuma
rogerdodger said:
super low tides exposed razor clams this week that are underwater almost all the time and there are lots of crabs in close. This guy wanted to fight with me as I waded across an inlet, not his best decision but he is just a crab. lol

JAa3r4J.jpg

QlylIJz.jpg
Nice haul Roger. I'm new to the forum officially, but I've been lurking and learning a lot for a while. Thanks to all here... great site.

I took my first trip for razors Friday with a -2.0 tide. I'm from Eugene, so I wasn't up for the drive to Clatsop area beaches especially since I'd be ticketed on the first day of Clatsop conservation closure July 15 - September 30.

Not knowing many spots in and around Florence I went to Baker beach on recommendation from a local tackle shop. It's quite a hike through the loose dunes sand to reach the beach. I searched a while with not even one "show" or dimple, etc. I even pounded surf sand with a capped 1.5" pvc pipe I made after watching techniques on YouTube... no sign of the little boogers. Almost no one on the beach as well.

I did see a nice yellow and blue Bi-plane that looked like he was going to land on the beach just before he soared up above the cliffside homes. Pretty cool.

Next trip might be to the South jetty area. Not sure how the DM's work, but any private info on general locations or tips would be greatly appreciated.

By the way... I've got "street legal" labeled crab traps I've had success with in the bay and I'm wondering is it legal to use one from on the jetty or on the beach?
I'm not sure I want to be hiking around with one, but I've been curious if anyone has done it.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
rule #1 for razor clams on the central/south coast- the clams available to dig (exposed at minus tides) tend to be concentrated near things that stick out into the ocean- north and south jetties at river mouths and also the natural cliffs extend into the ocean. this is due to the broadcast spawning of the razor clams that has them swirling around at the mercy of the currents.

that doesn't mean all these beaches near jetties will always have lots of large clams but if you find mostly small clams at one, try a different one the next time and come back next year to the one with small clams this year. cheers, roger

FYI- big river/bay easy access areas- CoosBay south jetty (Bastendorf beach), Umpqua south jetty, Siuslaw south and north jetty, Alsea north and south, Yaquina south and north, plus some smaller rivers and terminal beaches at north and south sides of points/heads/cliffs.

Reactions: BassCatPuma
U
ulitaco
Hello, I'm new to razor clamming and have only done it a few times in the northern beaches to include WA. Now that the northern areas are closed until fall I would like to try my hand going to the southern beaches where it is open "Year round" from what I have read. Do you happen to have an address that would take me to an area I can park my car and walk the rest of the way at any of these southern beaches. Ill be driving down from Portland area so central coast would be ideal but further south is fine too. Also Is that reflective tape on your gun? That sounds like a good idea to do for the night time clamming that happens later in the year and a Garmin GPS as well? is that something I should look into getting as well? Like I said I'm new to all this so any tips would help. Thank You!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
ulitaco said:
Hello, I'm new to razor clamming and have only done it a few times in the northern beaches to include WA. Now that the northern areas are closed until fall I would like to try my hand going to the southern beaches where it is open "Year round" from what I have read. Do you happen to have an address that would take me to an area I can park my car and walk the rest of the way at any of these southern beaches. Ill be driving down from Portland area so central coast would be ideal but further south is fine too. Also Is that reflective tape on your gun? That sounds like a good idea to do for the night time clamming that happens later in the year and a Garmin GPS as well? is that something I should look into getting as well? Like I said I'm new to all this so any tips would help. Thank You!
you can get all the parking/beach info online fairly easily, use Google Maps to identify parking areas near north and south river jetties, some are county or USFS parking with fee, some are free. Newport (Yaquina river) usually has clams just north and south of it and check out Agate Beach.

another trick is check the OR shellfish testing info, take a look at where they have been digging razor clam samples, those are going to be beaches with clams, for example, Agate Beach is one...scroll down on this page and click on "Biotoxin Data for Oregon Mussels and Clams", check that PDF.

https://www.oregon.gov/ODA/programs/FoodSafety/Shellfish/Pages/ShellfishClosures.aspx

The orange duct tape on my gun is because a few years ago, I left my nice aluminum gun standing beside the car when I drove off. I haven't lost this one, so the visibility tape works! lol

Reactions: Papa J.
Top Bottom