John Day Guided Trip

W

Webwader

I've had a yen for a long while to float the John Day for smallmouth so a buddy and I signed up for a trip with Mah-Hah Outfitters for April 30th. I'm looking forward to it and hope we can find some hawgs. My PB is pretty old. :pray:

kidholiday

kidholiday

Good Luck man, I have been wanting to fish that river also, but want to do it with out a guide.

C

c_13_b

John Day

John Day

I have fished this river...it was a blast. We made a 3 day float out of it (3 nights)...slayed em around the end of june. I had a monster catfish and got it up to the raft and it broke my 8lb test (I estimated it was over 5lbs and 20"+). My bud landed a nice smallie around 4lb 20"+...

The water was kinda low and had to walk and pull rafts down rapids in sections...but it didn't spoil the amazing fishing. I will step out on a limb and state the John Day river blessed me with the best fishing days of my life. I caught well over 200 fish in 3days...stoked !!!

W

Webwader

My fishing buddy and I made the trip yesterday and we had a great time. Steve Fleming of Mah-Hah Outfitters is a top notch guide and a great guy. It was a big numbers day. I caught nine bass and my buddy caught six bass and a bright native steelhead. But size matters. My big one was 23 1/2" long, 15" girth and 6 lb 10 oz. Steve said it was the longest smallmouth he had ever boated and the second largest (the largest was 23", 17" girth). It's probably the biggest bass I will ever catch in my lifetime and was worth whatever the trip cost me. My buddy did real good too. He caught a 20 1/8" smallie with a 13 1/4" girth. Breakfast at Steve's and the Dutch oven lunch cooked on the boat were a real treat too.

2350Smallmouth043009.jpg

Troutski

Troutski

Link...

Link...

My fishing buddy and I made the trip yesterday and we had a great time. Steve Fleming of Mah-Hah Outfitters is a top notch guide and a great guy. It was a big numbers day. I caught nine bass and my buddy caught six bass and a bright native steelhead. But size matters. My big one was 23 1/2" long, 15" girth and 6 lb 10 oz. Steve said it was the longest smallmouth he had ever boated and the second largest (the largest was 23", 17" girth). It's probably the biggest bass I will ever catch in my lifetime and was worth whatever the trip cost me. My buddy did real good too. He caught a 20 1/8" smallie with a 13 1/4" girth. Breakfast at Steve's and the Dutch oven lunch cooked on the boat were a real treat too.

2350Smallmouth043009.jpg

Do you have a link for this guide...? Always looking for good guides, like you said "worth whatever the trip cost me.", I have done very nice with the guides I've used over the years.
Thanks for the post and a great picture...:clap: :clap: :clap:

Chuck

B

Bassket Case

That's a big smallmouth, WW. Congratulations! :dance: Can't wait to hear the whole story the next time I see you.

W

Webwader

Thanks for the congrats.
Troutier, it's the John Day River and the guide service is out of Fossil.
Troutski, here is the link to Mah-Hah Outfitters.

H

Hawk

that thar is a Reel Beautiful Bass Bro........................................:clap::clap::clap:....................:D:D:D..........................:cool::cool::cool:

W

Webwader

We really lucked out on our day on the water. The Wednesday before we went, the John Day surged up to over 13,000 cfs due to the real warm days at the first of the week. The river was so muddy by the next day that the guide had to use the alternate lake for his clients on Thursday and Friday. The alternate lake is a private largemouth lake. When we fished, the flow was down to about 4,700 cfs and the water was clear. We also had a tremendous bug hatch that day due to the nice weather. I got an email from the guide saying that he took out three clients the next day and they only caught a total of five bass. The smallies apparently had their bellies full of bugs and were not in the mood.

Troutski

Troutski

Guessing...

Guessing...

They should call it Guessing instead of Fishing..;) Reading the weather and all the other conditions truly don't make my mind up for me...my days off do, I just try to adjust my technique to the conditions at hand. Makes for some crazy days of being on the water..

Chuck

W

Webwader

They should call it Guessing instead of Fishing..;) Reading the weather and all the other conditions truly don't make my mind up for me...my days off do, I just try to adjust my technique to the conditions at hand. Makes for some crazy days of being on the water..

Chuck

Calling it Fishing is just fine but they were smart enough not to call it Catching. :lol:

A

ArcticAmoeba

The John Day has 20+ pound Smallmouth. My buddy knows of three that were in that range. All of 'em ate coon shrimp in heavy current while the anglers were targeting Summer Steelhead. The Bass get big out there. And that is a lurch of a fish for sure! Smallies fight pretty nice for Bass too!

T

Troutier Bassier

Thats BS!!! 20+ pound SMALLMOUTH???. The world record is like 11 pounds.

Top Bottom