Jigs on a flyrod?

O
OutdoorsTeen
I know people do it , as seen on another thread here. I have nothin against it. But in a flyfishing only area. Is it legal? Just popped into my head and wondered.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Read the regulations. Some places do allow them and some dont.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
It depends on how your state defines "fly" and if they differentiate fly-tied jigs from other types of jigs, or if weight is allowed to be part of a fly... basically you've got to read your state's regs, or contact their DFW to get their opinion.

L
LUCASMORTER
in all reality it does not matter what type of rod you are using as long as they allow jig fishing than you should be good to go. you are only flyfishing if you have a fly in the water even if it is ties to a big shimano plunking setup

R
RunWithSasquatch
I heard it was Cheating:whistle:

H
halibuthitman
LUCASMORTER said:
in all reality it does not matter what type of rod you are using as long as they allow jig fishing than you should be good to go. you are only flyfishing if you have a fly in the water even if it is ties to a big shimano plunking setup
not true, in special no bait or barb sections this is true, on "fly fishing" only water you must be using a flyrod and fly reel... which must include a floating, or float/sink line... can't even use all mono like a centerpin rod-

M
metalfisher76
From the Or. bible:D http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/docs/2011_Oregon_Fish_Regs.pdf

Artificial Fly A fly is a hook, dressed with conventional fly tying materials. The affixed materials may be natural or synthetic.
Tied in conjunction with other materials, the following items may be part of the fly: wire (lead or other metal) used
for weighting the fly, dumbbell eyes or beads (metal, glass or plastic). A fly is not a hook to which sinkers, molded
weights, spinners, spoons or similar attractors are attached.

Fly Angling Angling with a fly rod, fly reel, (no spinning or fixed spool reel(s)), floating or sinking fly line, leader, any type of
backing line, and an artificial fly. In waters restricted to “Fly Angling Only” no additional weights or attractors shall
be attached to the hook, leader, or line, and no metal core lines may be used.

Lure An artificial device, complete with hooks, intended to attract and entice fish; excluding molded soft plastic or
rubber imitation baits and artificial flies. Corkies, spin-n-glos, go-glos, birdy drifters, lead-head jigs, etc., are considered
lures.
Molded soft plastic or rubber imitation worms, eggs, or other imitation baits are considered bait.

L
LUCASMORTER
rules rules rules ha ha ha

M
Markcanby
So a propeller leech is not a fly? It has a spinner.

T
the_intimidator03
according to the regs no its not a fly, more like inline spinner with fly body lol