Jigs for steel

S
skunk
Quick question. When those of you who use prawns and jigs, when you tip the jig with a chunk of prawn...how big and does it make the jig hang funny? I was thinking with the prawn on the hook it might not be horizontal in the water like I've been told jigs should be fished. And if its a small piece, can the steel really get a whif o that as it floats downstream?

Reactions: waco
J
JeannaJigs
of course they can get a whiff of it! I just use a little piece to tip 'em. if you cinch down your knot well, it'll hold horizontal pretty well.

W
waco
Thats a good question Dave, I always wonder the same thats why I don't tip my jigs with prawns!! It would be interesting what experienced anglers said!!

N
nwkiller
jigs do there own damage...just rubbing a sandshrimp with a jig would get them going.

J
JeannaJigs
Word. Last winter I didn't tip 'em, but during the summer it seems to work pretty well. I've gotten acustomed to carrying around mike's smelly jelly in sandshrimp, the thick nasty goo (Pink with glitter sparkle sparkle)...just rubbing a little dab on the head. That stuff stinks to high heaven and doesn't come off for like an hour. One little jar of that has lasted me about 3 years? And it will probably last another 10.

S
SantiamDrifter
About the size of your thumb nail. You dont want such a big piece that it affects your jigs feathers under water. You want that natural pulse.

^^^ And just a quick 2 cents about scents in bottles. I love em, use em, and wouldnt leave home without em. That being said, I do believe they can and will spoil over time. Specially if left in the sun. You said you've had yours for about three years now and that is probably the longest you would want to fish it. And its best to store them some place cool, and possible even in the refrigerator when not fishing.

J
JeannaJigs
Yep it's the thick paste, I keep it refrigerated. All my scents are stored in the bait fridge. The usual liquid scents I discard if I don't use up in a year, but this stuff smells the same as it did the day I bought it. First time it gets a funk it's gone.

S
skunk
Awesome, I shall try this year, the tipping of the prawns. :)

M
markasd
More for summers than for winters. When I do tip the jig, I use such a small piece that it wont hinder the angle of the dangle. I rely on the jig to get the fishes attention, the prawn is just too yummy not to hit!

J
jawjacker
Try cutting your prawn lengthwise into strips and thread onto your hook like a worm for extra action and scent.