Jetty help

I
IdahoNative
I have been fishing from the Jetties out in Garbaldi before fishing off the bottom and have had success. I will be going back in 2 days and I would really like to try to use my fly pole. I just have some questions:

-This will be my first time ever fly fishing. Is this to difficult of a place for a beginner?
-I have a 6wt beginners rod from Cabelas. Is that strong enough?
-What kind of line do I need? I believe I have a floating line on it.
-Is it easy to change back and forth between lines? I do not have the money for a designated saltwater bug wand.
-What Kind of flies do I need?
-What techniques should I use?

Thank you for reading and I would really appreciate any advice that I could get. I was planning on going to a fly shop before I left but the one that is relatively close has mixed reviews so I am not sure how helpful they will be.

I
IdahoNative
Just found out that the fly shop is closed on Mondays so that is out of the question. Really counting on you guys now. :)

brandon4455
brandon4455
an 8wt and full sinking line is ideal,throwing big clouser minnows imitating batfish and kelp greenling. early morning the rockfish may be up top so a floating line many work, but it's by a long stretch, and way to light of a rod for the jetty if you ask me. Going to a jetty for your first time fly fishing may be very very tough, i would practice your casts and try some lakes & streams first. a jetty with slippery rocks plus a bunch of fly line around your feet is dangerous even if you know how to manage it. so dont forget to buy a stripping basket too.

troutdude
troutdude
^^^solid advice right there. A 6 wt. is designed for lighter fish (trout, maybe smallies, etc). Plus, if there's strong wind--like there usually is--you'll have a very hard time, casting into that wind (with a 6 wt.).

I'd suggest taking your other gear (rod/reel/tackle/bait), since you've had prior success. Using gear/techniques that you are confident in; goes a LONG way to making it a good day.

Good luck.

I
IdahoNative
Okay. Thank you guys for the advice. I guess I have some saving up to do.

P
perfectg03
I am also a newbie when it comes to Jetty fishing, but have 25+ years fly fishing experience and recently spent a few hours along the jetty in Garibaldi. I was using a 10' 8wt with intermediate line and 10' t-8 sink tip. I was using a variety of big white streamers I tied for fun years ago with no real intended use, mostly just sculpin type patterns but on steroids. I would cast upstream and allow my fly to sink/drift along the until I felt like starting my retrieve. I found most success came on the dead drift once it got pretty deep. I must've caught 15 or so smaller blackies and a few kelp greenies. Not much fun with the 8wt but you never know what you might hook up with this time of year.

I am more interested in trying my hand at a nookie or coho off the Jetty this year.

H
hcole
I've had a lot of success with the fly rod off the jetty. My setup is
10wt
30 ft type VI scientific anglers shooting taper to get down
intermediate running line
stripping basket
damn near any fly you can think of, these fish are not selective

The 10 wt might sound like overkill but it makes casting junk in the wind a whole lot easier and if you hook a fat lingcod you'll be glad you were packing heat. You'll have zero chance of landing a halfway decent lingcod on a 6wt. I've landed small ones on an 8wt and it was tough.

U
upperroguepirate
lots of good advice here. listening to you guys truly brings back yrs of fly fishing memories for me. Use to have great gear when I was living in AK. last sold my 9wt gloomis salt water rod. nautikos fast action and what a beauty and piece of work it is or was. Im hoping to get into another boat if I sell my Jeep and if so, and I find a job, i'm gonna really look forward to getting an outfit again. I remember fishing for stripers, stripping in line very fast and wham! they are beasts. That was from a big dam not in the salt. Did it a few times in CA's delta before I had my boat. You get urself a boat and a spare spool on a 9 or 10 weighted reel and then rig one up with LC13. lead core and you'll be set. Ya have to be a good caster to muscle that stuff out there or you could find your fly hook in the back of your head. Also, you have a good chance at busting up your hooks on a back cast and u don't want that if ur not careful. save up get that 9 or 10wt.

you can also try casting at the beaches for surf perch. Them are very good eating.

that stuff sinks great, saves time and really the best way to go for many apps. Coastal kings, silvers, from a boat..hang on!

Last edited: