It's not steelhead fishing but...

A

alm21

..I am having some fun catching some Rainbow. These were caught using spinners.

I don't what they weighed but they were 22", 16" and 13.5". I filleted the two bigger ones and will put them in the smoker. I gave the smaller one to a buddy to cook up.

IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

I'm showing off my new BenchMade knife in this one... :cool:

IMAG0001.jpg

O

OnTheFly

Nice trout man! But why the smoker? A fish like that should be on a dinner plate. My opinion only:)

A

alm21

Nice trout man! But why the smoker? A fish like that should be on a dinner plate. My opinion only:)

Thanks! I decided to smoke them for a couple reasons. First, I have a smoker that I've used only once on some Coho and I am eager to try my hand at trout in the smoker. Second, I think the wife and kids would appreciate the smoked trout better. However, if I can get myself out there for some steelhead and I'm fortunate enough to bring one home, it will definitely be on the dinner plate! -cheers

F

fishcreekspinners

Nice Hook Jaw!

Nice Hook Jaw!

Beautiful fish. I need to buy a smoker, that sounds like a resolution to follow up on.

J

joesnuffy

seems like people waste a lot of fish when they fillet them, especially when it's a trout.......

nice fish though

A

alm21

looks like you murdered that fish.. a little bloody... nice fish!!!

I did gill it but most of that red was the color of the fish, especially in the cheeks. Plus I was breaking in my new BenchMade knife. :)

seems like people waste a lot of fish when they fillet them, especially when it's a trout.......

nice fish though

Maybe so if they don't know how to efficiently fillet a fish. I need the practice and there is only one way to do so. Plus, since I am smoking the fish, my preference is to have it filleted and cut into smaller sections.

H

halibuthitman

heading and filleting a salmoniod style fish, trout-salmon-steelhead, usally cost you 35% of its weight.

T

Thuggin4Life

Yeah but most of it is just head skin fins bones guts. There should be very little meat on the carcase when you are done. And you can not worry about any waste by tossing the leftovers in the freezer and using them for crab bait.

S

steelheadstalker31

Yeah but most of it is just head skin fins bones guts. There should be very little meat on the carcase when you are done. And you can not worry about any waste by tossing the leftovers in the freezer and using them for crab bait.

I agree, there shouldn't be much left on the carcass after a good fillet job.

H

halibuthitman

that was the point I was making.... 35% of a fish is waste no matter how you work a fish, that is all waste regardless, unless you want fishhead soup. which by the way is very good:D