Is there a fall nook/coho run N. Santiam?

S
Steeliekiller
I know the north has a good run throughout the summer but am not sure about the fall. Regardless I'm still going to be fishing it for those damn steelies. Happy lip rippin.

S
Steeliekiller
Thanks that's some good info and will post if anything gets caught. Good rivers better fishing

C_Run

There has been a little run on Rickreal Creek and also the Luckiamute River has been getting a very small number from what I have heard. On Rickreal Creek they have been trapping them and trucking them above the dam for a few years I believe. I don't really know the details but apparently, even the west side tribs get a few.

E
eugene1

Very cool info C-run! Are you sure you don't mean coho though? This old study (1998: http://www.blm.gov/or/districts/sal..._analyses/sdo_rcmcrclm_wa/sdo_rcmcrclm_wa.pdf ) says that fall nooks are not there but coho are. Not saying you're wrong, as it is an old study, and I don't know anything about this fall nook run at all. I would like to learn more about where these "non native" wild nooks have found a home though.

Best,

troutdude
The N. Santiam is CLOSED to ALL Chinook fishing; until Nov. 1st.

The Mainstem is open all year for Coho.

The N. Santiam is open--up to the Stayton/Scio bridge all year, for Coho.

The N. Santiam is currently closed; will also re-open on Nov. 1, for Coho too (above the Stayton/Scio bridge).

FYI, all of this information is available in the Oregon reg book--or online on ODFW's web site (and the law expects that you know this information, BEFORE you venture out).

Last edited:
C_Run

I just meant coho. I just remember the local paper talking about the trucking of coho up Rickreal Creek. Then a friend of ours was on the Luckiamute watershed council and was telling us about what species they found in that system. I don't think they ever found Chinook there.

O
Outdoor_Myers
Question, I have driven over this river on I-5 heading south out of Salem, and I have seen a rest stop there. Is the river fishable from that rest stop or do you need to go somewhere else? and is that part of the North or mainstream ?

troutdude
Yes OM, that is the mainstem of the Santiam. It should still be fish-able, until we get heavier rains. The mouth is a few miles west; and the N. / S. Forks are a few miles east of that I-5 bridge.

F
fphowell
In 2000, when I lived in Calif. we took a trip to Oregon to see if we wanted to retire there. One of the stops was that rest stop on the Santiam and I saw some boats on the river and started to film them with my camcorder. As I was doing so, one of the boaters noticed me and went to their fish locker and pulled out a Salmon, which might have been around 15 to 20 pounds in weight. Nice!
In 2006 we did retire to Salem.

Raincatcher
I love fishing that rest area and have fished it year round in the past. Glad you came to Oregon, fphowell! :hi: