Is it just me!!!!????

B
bran_man
Ok so somebody else please tell me they are also having a terrible start to their winter season!? I have been out like 8 times already this year and have fished good spots where i have caught a good amount of fish in the past (and have sacrificed a decent amount of tackle to the river gods) and have come up with nothing but the dreaded skunk! Don't know what it is, but the fish decided to not be my friend so far this winter season! :( Ha ha. I have only had one day where I started late after work and went 0 for 2 and one other day where I c/r 'ed a nice and bright native coho buck, but other than that I'm not even touching a fish! Not even a bump or hookup! What gives !? I thought I knew how to fish for steelhead... maybe not!? Ha ha ha Ok just wanted to rant for a minute and make everyone feel bad for me!!! Ha ha I really hope everyone out there is having better luck than I'm having! It is still the beginning though so hopefully I will figure it out and turn it around.... hopefully sometime soon! Just starting to make me feel like crap.

Last edited:
W
waco
^^That's my story! ^^ But I haven't hooked up nothing!

hobster
hobster
I was lucky enough to get one when the river first went below 10 ft but nothing the 3 times since. Don't worry Brandon, its still way early in the run. Most people i know haven't done so well from the bank yet - just wait a week or 2 and another good rain - you'll get some for sure! I'm gonna hit the slaw tomorrow, hopin for a hookup.

B
bran_man
I'm just being a crybaby ha ha. yeah the first few times I went out I knew was way too early and the chances of a hookup were slim to none. but the last few times I went hard! A bump or something, anything would be nice! ha ha ill probably wait for the next little spout of rain to come by before I go back out again in hopes that it will push some fish up

C
ChezJfrey
Well, truth be told, while I've hooked a few fish this winter, one was a native coho, two got OFF, and two to the bank...but I've also hit the river a TON of times since I had a bunch of time OFF work this last month, so that gave me more opportunity. If it wasn't for the massive vacation time, my few hookups might not have happened at all. So yeah, I think it's still a bit slim out there right now, but my shear number of trips covered the odds for me :)

In somewhat related news, C_Run hooked me up with a handful of homemade spoons and while I've fished them a ton, I wasn't getting much action with them. My tactic was to start fishing up/down river with them, then walk back through with a spinner, then change up colors and sometimes sizes. So far, only the #5 silver spinners were getting hit...until 1/1. I think with the very cold water, perhaps the extra flash/agitation from the larger spinning blades snapped the fish out of their lethargy. Anyway, my first fish on a spoon in awhile and it was one of his. Unfortunately, that one got away, so sorry to say I don't yet have a fish success with C_Run's spoons just yet....bummer. And in other bad news, I eventually lost that spoon. But, I fished it a bunch of days before the river grabbed it and I still have several others; I'll get a fish with one of them yet!

M
MattZ
I hear ya, I even fished wet and cold after some stupid wading today and was not rewarded. I did see a fish roll today.

madasahab
madasahab
bran_man said:
Ok so somebody else please tell me they are also having a terrible start to their winter season!? I have been out like 8 times already this year and have fished good spots where i have caught a good amount of fish in the past (and have sacrificed a decent amount of tackle to the river gods) and have come up with nothing but the dreaded skunk! Don't know what it is, but the fish decided to not be my friend so far this winter season! :( Ha ha. I have only had one day where I started late after work and went 0 for 2 and one other day where I c/r 'ed a nice and bright native coho buck, but other than that I'm not even touching a fish! Not even a bump or hookup! What gives !? I thought I knew how to fish for steelhead... maybe not!? Ha ha ha Ok just wanted to rant for a minute and make everyone feel bad for me!!! Ha ha I really hope everyone out there is having better luck than I'm having! It is still the beginning though so hopefully I will figure it out and turn it around.... hopefully sometime soon! Just starting to make me feel like crap.

I have been out a bunch on the coast and have not hooked a damn steelhead...I have only seen a few caught and had one beak my lure twice and turn away at the bank...lil *******!!!

Y
Yogidabear
I'm not having much luck either, I have fished 4 times on different rivers spending six to eight hours on each river, it get's discourging
but my other choice is to work, it's fun to get out and talk to other fisherman and find new water. So all is not lost, it's a fish of a thousand cast and I'm around 9995 so it looks like next time it will happen ;) Plus I just picked up two new reels and they are SWEET.

S
steelhead1
I dont know where you guys are fishing,but you should check out the central coast rivers(think Waldport to Beaver).Steelhead fishing has been exellent! Conditions are turning to low and clear,so gear down accordingly.Good luck:D

C
cobias
No worries , we hit the Alsea on new years eve - lots of boats but not a huge amount of catching and a friend of mine who floated the Siuslaw after the recent high water said its not ' hot '...its quite early. Cold water and rivers that were still slightly on the high side wasn't helping either. Just because a few people post some fish pics doesn't mean were in the season yet.

With that , i wont post any reports or photos on forums anymore ( not that i do much anyway :) ) because the numbers of people are completely out of hand. We passed up our regular run on the Alsea from all the boats putting in. I think fishing forums are ruining things. One or two guys posting a good day or a fish or two in a system - next day its a mad house. And just because someone had success one day doesn't mean the next will be as good. You know the old " you should have been here yesterday " bit. I have learned to fish like i used to - for the enjoyment. Go when you can go for the enjoyment , not because you " gotta git one " . Save your photos and post at the end of the season if you must.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Its not fishing forums! Its people out of work and the fact that its the holiday season. Add to that the fact that last years run was ridiculous so everyone wants in on it this year. Its always a zoo at the Alsea this time of year. Give it another three weeks and people will start talking about Springers and 90% of the people will leave. :D I said it last year that people should not get used to actually going out and catching steelhead. especially those who just started steelhead fishing last year. You were spoiled and now have to get used to working for them. :lol: The fishing so far has been really good I think for being early. The fish are biting light and not hanging on so its been more difficult to hook up but from the amount of missed bobber downs and quick releases this might turn out to be a great year. Keep at it guys it will pay off.

C
cobias
steelhead_stalkers said:
Its not fishing forums! Its people out of work and the fact that its the holiday season. Add to that the fact that last years run was ridiculous so everyone wants in on it this year. Its always a zoo at the Alsea this time of year. Give it another three weeks and people will start talking about Springers and 90% of the people will leave. :D I said it last year that people should not get used to actually going out and catching steelhead. especially those who just started steelhead fishing last year. You were spoiled and now have to get used to working for them. :lol: The fishing so far has been really good I think for being early. The fish are biting light and not hanging on so its been more difficult to hook up but from the amount of missed bobber downs and quick releases this might turn out to be a great year. Keep at it guys it will pay off.

I kind of understand from your guys point of view because you sell tackle , but in general i don't think its good. I know after a while i lost touch with the enjoyment and adventure factor of it because i wanted to get home to post pics or send pics to people . Before fishing forums you just went because it was the season and it was fun. Now i think there is a big competition factor and a money factor involved. I know on other forums they encourage people to tell you where you caught your fish and if you don't you get flamed. Forums are a vehicle to hype up interest so people go and spend money. One guy on the Slaw last year said his buddy posts old pictures from other rivers and previous years :lol: So anyone can post pictures resulting in crowded rivers . On one thread in another forum guys said they posted false reports to throw people off. So yeah , i don't think its the best idea. I think we can all self moderate and show home pics of our fish and give the story without the name of the river. If people can't do their homework on their own and find where and when to go , maybe they should find another hobby.

As far as the Alsea , i know pods of fish push through and after a 'certain point' there is no DB access . Some real good bank fishing though. We floated a very low run to avoid the chaos.

T
Throbbit _Shane
There was combat fishing in the 70's and 80's. People will flock to spots where the fish are no matter how they hear about it. Hopefully they quit fishing... lol Living south was a lot nicer when it comes to having your own fishing spots.

Tight Lines.

B
bythesea
It's what it is..we come here for information ,stories,, showing what we caught and proud of them and if it wasn't for the OFF and the others I'd still be trying to figure out how to tie yarnies and make roe and figure out where to fish and what to fish with...so thank's to them all.....FISH-ON!!! SO

images.jpg

index.jpg

madasahab
madasahab
fished the nestucca around 3 rivers today...SUCK!!!! Talked to 6 or so boats and a few bankies...only 2 fish caught...WTF??? Some people are catching on the north coast, but it is a pretty slow start...lets hope it gets better...
ODFW = Oregon Department Of Fishless Waters

Last edited:
S
steelhead_stalkers
Good points. Forums have not helped thats for sure! Hopefully people spread out and the crowds go down.

B
Boombollie
I didn't really know much about steelhead fishing until last fall when I found this forum. Since then I've learned quite a bit, a lot of that being just WHERE to learn, be it books, PM's, etc etc. I hit the Slaw COUNTLESS times last season with nary a hookup and STILL came back. I love it. I finally caught a summer down here on the Rogue in between fires this year, and now I'm back at the winter game on the Applegate and Rogue again. I've seen a ton hooked, a lot landed, and I know eventually something will click and I'll have a decent mix of hook-ups versus skunk days like the rest of y'all. The internet isn't going away, so the sport (and it's participants) are going to have to evolve. I say awesome. It's just a tool like anything else.

B
bythesea
steelhead_stalkers said:
Good points. Forums have not helped thats for sure! Hopefully people spread out and the crowds go down.

I'm soooo confused ...."Forums have not helped thats for sure explanation point" but @ the top of the page you just said "Its not the fishing forums!"I guess I just think fishing forums are nothing But help!!

S
steelhead1
cobias said:
No worries , we hit the Alsea on new years eve - lots of boats but not a huge amount of catching and a friend of mine who floated the Siuslaw after the recent high water said its not ' hot '...its quite early. Cold water and rivers that were still slightly on the high side wasn't helping either. Just because a few people post some fish pics doesn't mean were in the season yet.

With that , i wont post any reports or photos on forums anymore ( not that i do much anyway :) ) because the numbers of people are completely out of hand. We passed up our regular run on the Alsea from all the boats putting in. I think fishing forums are ruining things. One or two guys posting a good day or a fish or two in a system - next day its a mad house. And just because someone had success one day doesn't mean the next will be as good. You know the old " you should have been here yesterday " bit. I have learned to fish like i used to - for the enjoyment. Go when you can go for the enjoyment , not because you " gotta git one " . Save your photos and post at the end of the season if you must.

You are right.There are not enough fish around to justify going fishing,so please just stay home:p

C
cobias
steelhead1 said:
You are right.There are not enough fish around to justify going fishing,so please just stay home:p

Here's how it goes : A lot of people are afraid to post that they think its slow in fear of some knucklehead saying " hey man , they're killing fish everywhere , you must be doing something wrong " . I know the general consensus is that its slow right so we/i posted that the OP shouldn't worry too much about it. I also mentioned that fishing forums contribute to crowds even when its not ' hot ' enough to justify it.

And if you look at the number totals of salmon/steelhead ( minus coho ) over the last few years , yeah , there aren't enough fish. But ill keep fishing till the last fish:D . Just like to see a few less people is all.