Introduction

T
twoelk48
Hi I am a new member to this forum and I would like to introduce myself. I live in Merced, California and retired from the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection now refered to as CalFire as a Wildland Crew Captain of a 15 man crew. My motherinlaw lives in Sweethome, Oregon where we visit on a regular bases mostly during the summer and my oldest son lives up above Seattle.
I have a nice 2006 20ft Duckworth powered by 150 hp 4 stroke Yamaha and a 8hp 4 stroke kicker with remote control. I also have a Columbia River Anchor system so I can bring my boat up this coming summer and fish for trophy size sturgon on the Columbia. I was fortunate to fish the river one day last summer and plan on making a return trip for at least a week this coming summer either in the second or third week of June.
I will have at least one open seat available an I am looking for someone who is experienced fishing below Bonnivile Dam especially. I hope to have a grandson along on this trip who will be 15 and is a very polite young man. I hope to hear from someone willing to enlighten us more on fishing the Columbia, thanks Kent

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the family...

Welcome to the family...

twoelk48 said:
Hi I am a new member to this forum and I would like to introduce myself. I live in Merced, California and retired from the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection now refered to as CalFire as a Wildland Crew Captain of a 15 man crew. My motherinlaw lives in Sweethome, Oregon where we visit on a regular bases mostly during the summer and my oldest son lives up above Seattle.
I have a nice 2006 20ft Duckworth powered by 150 hp 4 stroke Yamaha and a 8hp 4 stroke kicker with remote control. I also have a Columbia River Anchor system so I can bring my boat up this coming summer and fish for trophy size sturgon on the Columbia. I was fortunate to fish the river one day last summer and plan on making a return trip for at least a week this coming summer either in the second or third week of June.
I will have at least one open seat available an I am looking for someone who is experienced fishing below Bonnivile Dam especially. I hope to have a grandson along on this trip who will be 15 and is a very polite young man. I hope to hear from someone willing to enlighten us more on fishing the Columbia, thanks Kent

Welcome to what will quickly become your favorite family fishing forum. We thrive on helping each other get as much out of each fishing outing as possible. You will love it here,especially with all that experience to share. Careful,you may end up making so many lifetime fishing buddies here that you will find it impossible to resist becoming an Oregonian...
I do not get up on the Columbia,so I will let our experienced members up that way give you that information.
Again,welcome aboard!

B
BlackTalon
Columbia Sturgeon

Columbia Sturgeon

What do you want to know? I am not an expert but do enjoy the sturgeon fishing. Had a couple of guys up here last year from California and had a good time. I have not caught a lot of oversize but have fished for them successfully several times.

Welcome, let us know what we can do to help. Will you be camping or staying in a motel when you come up?

Evan

T
twoelk48
BlackTalon said:
What do you want to know? I am not an expert but do enjoy the sturgeon fishing. Had a couple of guys up here last year from California and had a good time. I have not caught a lot of oversize but have fished for them successfully several times.

Welcome, let us know what we can do to help. Will you be camping or staying in a motel when you come up?

Evan
Thanks Black Talon for the reply back. I have a friend, Seon who was shown the ropes last year from a resident up there how to anchor up in the hog line and Seon did quite well over a week of fishing out of his own boat. I am hoping to find someone similar who does not mind sharing their expierence on a river they are familiar with. In return I can offer a nice boat to fish out of and pleasant company plus lunch.
Seon and I are talking about bringing both boats up as he has older sons and a wife who will be joing him and he is talking of staying in a motel. I plan on being flexible as I ahve a Tundra truck with a campershell that I can sleep in if need be or I can sleep in the boat but I also plan to sue a motel if I feel like it.
Currently I do not have another experinced boat handler fishing with me and I would really perfer someone that is incase any problem rises. Two ehads are always better than one has been my experience. I need to get some of the luyreres used for catching shad and proably some heavier weights as currently I only go up to 8oz when I fish sturgeon down here in the delta. Here we use an assortment of bait like ghost shrimp, grass shrimp eel, salmon roe, and shad but our shad much smaller than yours. Again thanks for replying, Kent

B
BlackTalon
Columbia Sturgeon

Columbia Sturgeon

Seon is the one I referred to having fished with last year. I was going to suggest you contact him for logistics information. I remember his camping experience and that is why I asked what you were doing. Talk to Seon about me, he may tell you to stay away:lol:

I have used up to 24 oz. weight up here on the Columbia. You may want to check on another recent thread about gearing up for them if you don't have what you need already. I am usually available during the summer because I am a teacher and we can talk about me joining you. I am not an expert but feel perfectly confident with using my boat and equipment up there. I have not had much success fishing for shad the few times I have done it but intend on rectifying that this year early. We have been able to find some floaters coming down in the past.

Evan

S
southside_10
Use the search feature, clicked advanced search and check out a thread called " Going fishing " started by kcdan dated 09-19-08.

I posted some pics from a trip I went on just below Bonniville. I have fished this area a couple of times and have a great spot programed into my GPS. We caught two nice keepers there in October and a couple of oversized the same trip.

I would recommend 300ft. of anchor rope and a quick release setup so you can drop the rope and chase down a fish.

Let me know when you would like to go and we can put something together.

Peace, Tom

Last edited:
T
twoelk48
southside_10 said:
Use the search feature, clicked advanced search and check out a thread called " Going fishing " started by kcdan dated 09-19-08.

I posted some pics from a trip I went on just below Bonniville. I have fished this area a couple of times and have a great spot programed into my GPS. We caught two nice keepers there in October and a couple of oversized the same trip.

I would recommend 300ft. of anchor rope and a quick release setup so you can drop the rope and chase down a fish.

Let me know when you would like to go and we can put something together.

Peace, Tom
Thanks Tom I have the rope and anchor system you reccomend I also have a Lowrance chd 111 gps/sonar unit in the boat with the West Coast mapping information, off the transom is a Lowrance 532c so you can sit facing to the rear and not get whipped lashed from looking around. I will stay in touch with you and as time gets near will definitely be letting you know what my final plans are and when. Kent

S
southside_10
Sounds like a plan to me.

The times were had the best action up there were early in the day, so plan on a O-dark thiry start.

Peace, Tom

S
stonesworth
Welcome!!! The people here are great and have lots of good info and views on things....Good luck on the water..

T
twoelk48
stonesworth said:
Welcome!!! The people here are great and have lots of good info and views on things....Good luck on the water..
Thanks Stoneworth for the encouragement. Hope to see you on the water. Nice looking fish your holding, the caption says salmon something else i like fishing for as well as steelhead and kokanee. Kent