Intoxicated hatchery driver who crashed hauling McKenzie springers

E
eugene1
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...f/2014/12/fish_hatchery_truck_crash_kill.html

There is a new development in the story... The driver says he was intoxicated due to ABP. That is a condition where yeast in the colon make ethanol.

I think I heard of a similar defense in the past weeks where a woman got OFF of a drunk driving charge.

Interesting. I read that antifungal medicine can cure it. Anyway, I have no affiliation to the guy and no judgement from me but just interesting! Sad to see those fish wasted though.

https://www.gofundme.com/autobrewerysucks

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I have a feeling that will become a popular defense in the future. I don't know if medical science will support it but it will be interesting.

L
Lurker
More importantly, which river are they dumping these salmon into? The article says it was the last of the haul. Hopefully they mistook the salmon for the trout hatchery.

P
pinstriper
Brings new meaning to the phrase: drunk off his ...., well, you know.

T
troutmasta
I read the article, they are pretty adamant that that is the case. If they can admit some of that documentation as evidence in court, I think they stand a chance.

E
eugene1
Lurker said:
More importantly, which river are they dumping these salmon into? The article says it was the last of the haul. Hopefully they mistook the salmon for the trout hatchery.

ODFW determined they were releasing too many hatchery spring salmon into the McKenzie river so they trucked excess smolts over to the Coast Fork Willamette that year. The idea was the fish would return to the acclimation site on the Coast Fork and not interbreed with the native fish in the McKenzie; this would also create a new salmon fishery on the Coast Fork. We'll see how that turns out soon enough.

We had a thread or two about this that I can't find now.

L
Lurker
eugene1 said:
ODFW determined they were releasing too many hatchery spring salmon into the McKenzie river so they trucked excess smolts over to the Coast Fork Willamette that year. The idea was the fish would return to the acclimation site on the Coast Fork and not interbreed with the native fish in the McKenzie; this would also create a new salmon fishery on the Coast Fork. We'll see how that turns out soon enough.

We had a thread or two about this that I can't find now.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2012/February/022412.asp

Does this look familiar? I can't imagine these fish making it above the hatchery to spawn... It's literally a bridge that "constructs" the dam; I've not seen evidence of a fish ladder..

EDITL: Last year, the fish literally rushed to the hatchery to escape both the heat and low water conditions, where every salmon were "treated". I may have some fantastic video(s) of them to dig up.. It was a remarkable thing to see.

Last edited:
E
eugene1
Lurker said:
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2012/February/022412.asp

Does this look familiar? I can't imagine these fish making it above the hatchery to spawn... It's literally a bridge that "constructs" the dam; I've not seen evidence of a fish ladder..

EDITL: Last year, the fish literally rushed to the hatchery to escape both the heat and low water conditions, where every salmon were "treated". I may have some fantastic video(s) of them to dig up.. It was a remarkable thing to see.

Yep that link you posted is the background story, we had some threads on OFF about it as well that I could not find was my point.

Anyway, the salmon released into the Coast Fork (or died on the way) weren't intended to successfully spawn there, but just to return there as adults. The "fishery" they were intended to start was an artificial one in some way as it was a terminal one with no fish spawning involved.

Take care,

Aervax
Aervax
Antifungal medicine can cure ABP, but that is not going to be a big seller. If you had ABP, why would you want to cure it?

T
TTFishon
The dude had to have known he was unsafe to drive. You can't tell me he didn't realize he was feeling a little under the weather.

bass
bass
Aervax said:
Antifungal medicine can cure ABP, but that is not going to be a big seller. If you had ABP, why would you want to cure it?

Yeah, I want to know how to catch it :)

Top Bottom