Information needed on 'vintage fly rod'

G
Growbug
Howdy all. I just got back from the Barlow "Steam Up" and had to be physically dragged away from a stall in the "Swap meet" that was selling 'vintage' fly rods.
There were a few there, including some nice split bamboo rods. I am not at the skill level to risk restoring anything so i came away with the best looking 'working rod'.

Got back home and checked the markings on the handle.

1380T model FHJ

Now, with a little Googlin' it seems that i have acquired an
Howell Glastik Wonderod (Shakespeare) 1380T model FHJ

Now to the actual questions..

Anyone know what weight this may be??

It also came with an LW Holmes and Co reel, $15 for the pair.

ANY info on either item would be greatly appreciated.

GB

Last edited:
G
Growbug
flyrod.png

troutdude
troutdude
SWEET! I have owned several Shakespeare Wonder Rods over the years. In fact, I just loaned one last week to RainCatcher, so she perfect her casting technique. Wonder Rods, were the first rod touted to be able to bend from tip to butt w/ out breaking.

You got a good deal too (price wise). I generally find them at yard sales & such for between $5 and $20 (just for the rod). And they tend to sell on eBay for a bit more sometimes.

I also was just in Oakridge last week; so good timing. It just turns out that Bert (@ Bert's Tackle), has some 1950's vintage books about Shakespeare rods. If you contact Bert, he may be able to look up your model, and answer your questions.

I don't know how much help Bert will be. Quite frankly, he is a crotchety ol' buzzard. And he's known as "bend over Bert" by the local guides--because his prices are ridiculously high. For example, he's charging nearly new prices for used trolling flasher sets. I left there without spending a dime; even though I feasted my peepers on lots of stuff that I'd love to own.

At any rate, you can try and give him a call. His home # is what is printed on his business card. 503-782-3478.

Good luck.

G
Growbug
thanks troutdude.. i may look into that.

It looks like the reel is a "trade reel" made for sale by Abercrombie and Fitch in or around 1956, looks like the rod may date from that era too somewhere.

E
eggs
Pretty sure it is a 5/6wt... google csi info though

F
flyguy
nice find!

G
Growbug
Google CSI work so far.

fiberglass fly rods / Shakespeare states that FHJ dates the rod to manufacture date Feb 1953!!!!

--
edit

other info.
Model ID Name Length Action Pieces Cataloged Line Weights Weight (oz) Catalog Years
1380T Deluxe Fly Wonderod 8'6" Trout 3 C, HCH, 6MH 4.9 1951 - 1959
1380T Deluxe Fly Wonderod 9'0" Trout 3 ? 5.3 1951 - 1957, 1959

HCH=DT7F or DT8S
6MH=WF9F or WF10S

so... hmm.. 7 - 9wt??

Last edited:
S
steelhead1
Jeez,give 'ole Bert a break! It can't be easy making a living in Oakridge.If you want your junk cheap,go back to Wallmart! I know he can seem grumpy,but he has always been helpful to us when we stop in to "stock up".Buy something next time,maybe he will lighten up:)

troutdude
troutdude
I was only repeating what the locals say. No need to make a RUDE comment (i.e. "...go back to Walmart!").

Plus he wants $125 for his Fenwick glass rods. I have at least 7 different Fenwick's, and have not paid more than $20 for one. And like I said, paying new prices for used trolling flashers is crazy. (I'll get my new ones at Bi-Mart--thank you very much). Plus, I had just paid only $2 for 9 full flasher sets at a yard sale. And there is a guy in Harrisburg that sells NEW ones for only $3; and used for $2 each.

When I saw his stuff, I suggested that he get onto eBay himself (because he could make a TON of money selling his wares online). He simply said "F" eBay! Sheesh, I was only trying to be helpful!!! (That did NOT sit well w/ me).

On the other hand, he did show me stuff that I was interested in. He even got out that book on Shakespeare rods, to help look up a rod that I have.

To each his own, I guess. I only gave an honest assessment.

S
steelhead1
wow man,I wasn't trying to get you all upset:shock:.I just have a soft spot for people trying to make a living by running a small business (especially fishing related business).Sorry If I offended you. To everyone else who may be in the area to do some fishing,stop by his shop and ask some questions about whats working and where,the guy hasnt steered me wrong yet:D

troutdude
troutdude
steelhead1 said:
wow man,I wasn't trying to get you all upset:shock:.I just have a soft spot for people trying to make a living by running a small business (especially fishing related business).Sorry If I offended you. To everyone else who may be in the area to do some fishing,stop by his shop and ask some questions about whats working and where,the guy hasnt steered me wrong yet:D

It was the "shop at Walmart" comment, the flipped my trigger. But, I am glad that you replied. Apology accepted.

I also have a soft spot for "local" fishing shops like Fisherman's Shack in Airlie, Fiserman's Corner? in Philomath, etc. That is why I made it a point to stop at Bert's shop too. I do my best to support local fishing shops; especially when they are pleasant and helpful.

Perhaps I caught Bert on a bad day? Like I mentioned, he was helpful. He also showed me a really cool wrought iron gizmo, that some fisherperson in the 1800's used to stamp out there own spoons (different sizes too). Now that is a MUSEUM piece!

Top Bottom