In-line dropper for nymphing

H
Herefishyfishy
Last weekend I tied up some steelhead leaders, some for nymphing with inline droppers and was pretty impressed with how well they worked! As I posted in my McIver thread the other day, I had a double trout hook-up! I think it's better than tying the dropper onto the upper hook and had no problem with tangles which is what I was worried about. That and knot strength but in my testing the line always broke below the knot. Basically I just left an extra long tag end on the upper part of the tippet surgeons knot, about 12" and left about 30" inches of tippet below that. Give er a shot!

Reactions: pinkygonzales
P
perfectg03
Herefishyfishy said:
Last weekend I tied up some steelhead leaders, some for nymphing with inline droppers and was pretty impressed with how well they worked! As I posted in my McIver thread the other day, I had a double trout hook-up! I think it's better than tying the dropper onto the upper hook and had no problem with tangles which is what I was worried about. That and knot strength but in my testing the line always broke below the knot. Basically I just left an extra long tag end on the upper part of the tippet surgeons knot, about 12" and left about 30" inches of tippet below that. Give er a shot!

Very effect rigging. Been doing it like this for as long as I can remember. I am sure lots of people will find this helpful.

J
jrbecca
Great info! Thank you!

T
TimberTodd
I started using this method a couple of months ago and really like it.

M
MattZ
This is a great method, works well for lake fishing too... You can also attach a dry to the top tag and have a dry and dropper or double dry setup. thanks for sharing!

F
Fast Eddie
I seem to remember John Judy talking about some type of system like this in his book Slack Line Strategies for Fly Fishing. I could be totally off base here as it was a few months ago I read the book but I can remember saying to myself I am going to try this system but never got around to it. From what I recall it allowed the nymph to follow closer along the bottom and gave you a better chance of noticing a strike on the indicator. Judy also had some pretty specific guidance as to what kind of materials etc he preferred to use for indicators. I may have to go back and review it and give it a shot now.

H
Herefishyfishy
To be honest, I just learned to tie my own leaders so I was going crazy tying up a ton of them! One thing I like about it is that it's easy to change the top fly without having to re-tie the dropper. I will have to try it with dries too!

P
perfectg03
Herefishyfishy said:
To be honest, I just learned to tie my own leaders so I was going crazy tying up a ton of them! One thing I like about it is that it's easy to change the top fly without having to re-tie the dropper. I will have to try it with dries too!

Two dries are deadly, get ready for a lot of doubles. I only fish double rigs on tougher streams, I like my odds better with two flies, especially during a diverse hatch.

On the crooked river I can't fish with 2 dries because the action is too crazy which results in lots of tangles.

M
MattZ
I like ot fish 2 dries one in front more visible, one in back, tiny or maybe an emerger that's harder to see. first fly acts as a spotter. So yeah, usually more "selective" trout

S
SteelyStalker12
Herefishyfishy,

I have always been one to resort to a "hopper and dropper" rig when trout fishing gets tough (especially in the summer months), but could you elaborate a little or add a link to how to set this kind fly configuration up? I am also always one to try new things!!!!

Thanks!

Joe

M
MattZ
SteelyStalker12 said:
Herefishyfishy,

I have always been one to resort to a "hopper and dropper" rig when trout fishing gets tough (especially in the summer months), but could you elaborate a little or add a link to how to set this kind fly configuration up? I am also always one to try new things!!!!

Thanks!

This method relies on the Surgeon knot to join your tippets. when you attach your final piece of tippet to your leader via this Surgeons knot, there are 2 tags formed during the knot, one faces up toward the last eye, one faces down to your fly.
leave the tag facing down toward your fly extra long, don't trim it off. Trim the one pointing upward close just like you normally do. now you have the very end of your tippet, and above this at your connecting knot, you have a second place to tie on a fly.

There are many theories as to how to pair them. for lakes i often put on an attractor type at the knot, maybe something with orange to catch the eye. then at the point or very end, i put on a small nymph, or a dragon fly nymph, or something natural, which catches more fish generally.
Sometimes I put a dry on the knot, and a nymph on the point.
Sometimes I weight the knot fly and leave an unweighted fly at the point. the heavy fly in the middle drags the leader down, and the point fly is weight free, and free to dangle naturally.
You can fish chironomids in still water by putting a dry fly at the point, leave the knot tag extra long, and dangle a lightly weighted chironomid or blood worm in the middle. this keeps your nymph very close to surface, where trout are often gorging on chironmid.

Hope these examples help clarify some and give new ideas of how to fish 2 flies.

S
SteelyStalker12
MattZ,

This clears everything up! Thanks for the explanation. I used to run a dropper right off the bend of the hook of my stimulator, but you say this method causes less tangles? I'll have to give it a shot soon!!!

Joe

M
MattZ
As long as you don't leave the top tag too long it should not tangle much. It will still tangle though. to me the best advantage of doing it this way is both hook points are free. I have seen fish come to take my dry, hit the line as the went to grab the fly, and rejected it. this way, each fly is a bit more free to be taken by fish, and you don;t remove the action of the fly either, its free to swim or wiggle or do what it does best.