I'm back! But injured...

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Feels good to posting again

Unfortunately I haven't been doing much fishing the last 2 months, I lost a close young family member right before Christmas right after moving to a different place in Springfield.

Then, on Jan 1st about 8am, my right thumb was pulled into the back of a belt sander at work.

It made its way down to bone, I have permanently lost my finger nail, and instead have a skin graft that runs from where the end of the nail usually is, up over my knuckle. I have a brace 24/7 and no function of my thumb at the moment, which means no holding fishing rods! I won't post any of the detailed photos, not very pretty.

I was out of work for a month, making workman's comp, which is lower than unemployment for some reason...

The kayak is currently out of commission, needs some repair work and funds are low after the injury, plus I'd be fixing it with my left hand only

I'll start updating it!
878a1f4bac3a65f74e5333c8dd82cbce.jpg

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: fromthelogo and Raincatcher
Admin
Admin
Man... that sucks. Big big time...

Fummus
Fummus
Dude! sorry as H E double hockey sticks to hear you got hurt, but glad you at least get to keep the thumb. And sounds like you will be back out sore mouthing the fishes once you get healed up. And on a more serious note, condolences on the loss of a family member. Always sucks and though I wish there some wise words that could make it suck less, I don't think there are any. ☹️

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Admin said:
Man... that sucks. Big big time...
I'm ready for 2022!

• Haha
Reactions: Admin
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Fummus said:
Dude! sorry as H E double hockey sticks to hear you got hurt, but glad you at least get to keep the thumb. And sounds like you will be back out sore mouthing the fishes once you get healed up. And on a more serious note, condolences on the loss of a family member. Always sucks and though I wish there some wise words that could make it suck less, I don't think there are any. [emoji3525]
Appreciate it brother

Accident with a firearm unfortunately, all minors, he didn't suffer and was able to pass a lot on to others in need

bass
bass
That a lifetime's worth of bad luck in a short period. Hopefully, you get some balancing good luck in your future! Best of luck getting back into fishing shape!

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
bass said:
That a lifetime's worth of bad luck in a short period. Hopefully, you get some balancing good luck in your future! Best of luck getting back into fishing shape!
Yeah and February ain't been too hot! Family member diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer

Going to make a trip to Florida

I see the doctor on Thursday I'm going to ask her about kayak possibilities!

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
My new form of PT, hard to hold the spool with heavier baits tied on, and the pad of my thumb is hyper sensitive but it is doable
Snapchat-1340432156.jpg

Reactions: fromthelogo and Admin
fromthelogo
fromthelogo
I hope you get to do this PT frequently.

bass
bass
Next thing you know Shimano will start to sell a medical grade casting reel that costs $15,000. It will be a normal reel with a little red cross on it that is "approved for medical rehabilitation" :)

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
bass said:
Next thing you know Shimano will start to sell a medical grade casting reel that costs $15,000. It will be a normal reel with a little red cross on it that is "approved for medical rehabilitation" :)
I'm sure they will find a way to further complicate the inner workings! Lol

In all honesty I wouldn't mind a reel that has an adjustable thumb pad, you could swap the sizes or set the trigger weight to what you want

People spend hundreds on custom handles, but you use the thumb release just as often!

Fummus
Fummus
Hey now! That ain't a bad looking thumb, all things considered. Glad your getting to show it some daylight and fresh air, and agree that the more of that PT you get to do, the better. :)