Illegal catch, busted by vigilant trooper!

troutdude
troutdude
Caution: Facebook can be hazardous to your record.

In the August round up of statewide activity by the Oregon State Police Fish and Wildlife Division, a trooper reports he heard about an illegal oversized sturgeon caught and kept on Sauvie Island.

The trooper discovered photographic evidence of the six-footer (more than a foot too long) on a suspect’s Facebook page, memorized his photo and noted the man’s post about frequent fishing trips to the island and, on a subsequent patrol at the island’s Gilbert River boat ramp, spotted and interviewed him.

(The suspect) “stated he did take the large sturgeon … home, but that it was given to him by another angler,” the report reads.

The man’s Facebooking was rewarded with a criminal citation for unlawful possession of sturgeon.

SOURCE: http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/bill_monroe/index.ssf/2013/10/post_94.html#incart_river

bass
bass
All I can say is sweet!

E
eugene1
Sounds like the best outcome for a poacher to me!

M
Moe
That trooper is my hero. I remember the state troopers camped out on a spot where a Russian family were fishing at night on the Columbia, and tearing open oversize sturgeon searching for caviar, leaving the carcasses to rot along the bank. Some sick **** that pisses me off so bad.

M
Moe
Oh and they gathered video evidence of the poachers, I stopped following the case so I don't know what happened but but I'm sure they were prosecuted. If only it ad been done quicker. They killed a lot of spawners :(