I need therapy

C
ChezJfrey
...for my ego that is taking a beating.

Haven't touched a fish on the Clack since July 9. Had to actually hit the D a week ago to get into steelhead. Can find fish, but can't get them to bite. Have tried everything but the kitchen sink (drifting, spoon, spinner, fly, jig...small, dark, bigger, flashier) and I think maybe I just suck now, LOL

<sigh> I remember the "good ol' days" when I used to be pretty good on that river in the summer ;)

I
igquick
ChezJfrey said:

Haven't touched a fish on the Clack since July 9. Had to actually hit the D a week ago to get into steelhead. Can find fish, but can't get them to bite. Have tried everything but the kitchen sink (drifting, spoon, spinner, fly, jig...small, dark, bigger, flashier) and I think maybe I just suck now, LOL

<sigh> I remember the "good ol' days" when I used to be pretty good on that river in the summer ;)

Maybe the population is decreasing and the fish are getting smarter?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
igquick said:
Maybe the population is decreasing and the fish are getting smarter?
Ummm, are you sure telling him a fish with a brain the size of a withering walnut is smarter than he is will help his deflated ego? :sad: Good one...:D :lol: :harhar:

B
bagold53
ChezJfrey said:

I am in the same boat. I can see the pretties down there but they want nuthin I have.

D
DrTheopolis
I think it probably has more to do with the river dropping and warming earlier than normal this year. Haven't checked on the temp, but I'm sure it's got to be pushing 62-63 right now, which is getting almost-fatal to steelies.

I
igquick
Raincatcher said:
Ummm, are you sure telling him a fish with a brain the size of a withering walnut is smarter than he is will help his deflated ego? :sad: Good one...:D :lol: :harhar:

you would be surprised on how many times us carp fisherman get outsmarted....I hate to admit lol...sitting for hours in the rain, having many visuals that are a hair close to taking the bait, and I hope he doesn't read this, but I accidentally broke one of my friend's fishing rod from a rage quit hahah....once again I hate to admit it :yikes:

C
ChezJfrey
DrTheopolis said:
I think it probably has more to do with the river dropping and warming earlier than normal this year. Haven't checked on the temp, but I'm sure it's got to be pushing 62-63 right now, which is getting almost-fatal to steelies.

Yeah, but my problem is I keep a log and last year, when the water was at 10.7-11 and temps were 60-62 during July-Sept. I was on fire, hooking plenty of them. Hence my mental crushing woes right now :)

P
perfectg03
Temp is just under 65 right now. Tough to get anything to bite in these conditions. A lot of those upper river (McIver) fish have been in the river a while, with most recycled. They are beat up and tired, the last thing they want to do is put out the effort to grab something.

Once the water temp drops and we get a little burst of rain the fishing will be good again. Temps are cooling in the evenings now so shouldn't take long.

C_Run
C_Run
You've had the same avatar for quite awhile now. I think that could be it.

I
igquick
Maybe there has been more fishing pressure in comparison to last year?

D
DrTheopolis
ChezJfrey said:
Yeah, but my problem is I keep a log and last year, when the water was at 10.7-11 and temps were 60-62 during July-Sept. I was on fire, hooking plenty of them. Hence my mental crushing woes right now :)

I don't have a written log, but last year we were still running the driftboat down the Clack into mid-July. This year, I think we were done by mid-June. And there's a big difference between 60 and 64 degrees when it comes to steelhead.

O
OnTheDrop
DrTheopolis said:
I don't have a written log, but last year we were still running the driftboat down the Clack into mid-July. This year, I think we were done by mid-June. And there's a big difference between 60 and 64 degrees when it comes to steelhead.

You sir, missed out on some goood fishing. We were crushing until my departure on the 4th of July... Lotsa Nooks, too!

Chezzzz, you need to step your game up!

:bleh:

D
DrTheopolis
Me and my buddy had a slow first half of the year on the Home River. Was kind of irritating, since we slayed them last year. Same techniques, same places, same approach, and had a hard time hooking fish. Got fish pretty much every time out last year, this year was every few trips.

I don't remember the exact date the driftboat was put away from Clack use, but it sure seemed like it was quite a bit earlier than last year.

Chromatose
Chromatose
Steelmonkiller hit the nail right on the head, in that when I am in a slump, that I to have to step up my game. Pays off for sure.

C
ChezJfrey
Chromatose said:
Steelmonkiller hit the nail right on the head, in that when I am in a slump, that I to have to step up my game. Pays off for sure.

Hey now, let's go easy on the 'slump' accusations, just last week I nailed a couple on the Deschutes, LOL. Just haven't been able to consistently figure out the Clack bite the last month or so, even with fish spotted in my usual targets this time of year.

Hit it hard the last 3 days straight and today taking time away to regroup and try again tomorrow...will step it up with a little 'out of the box' approaches and see how it goes.

O
OnTheDrop
Use a 1/16 oz Chartruesse head/ Black Body with rubber legs... After 3 casts put a coon tail on it... If you don't get bit in 3 more casts throw your rod and gear in the river and go home..:D

D
DrTheopolis
When the going gets rough, I use 4# and throw a #1 Bud's blacked out with a Marks-A-Lot/Sharpie. Tough to fish with, but productive.

Killer lure, even for low-water fall nooks (I recommend more than 4#, although I've done it successfully... barely).

Because if you're not in my hole, I don't care about giving up my secrets -- just leave a few Bud's on the shelf, alright?