how to rig a line for trout fishing

T
tonythefish
I am new to trout fishing, I used to go bass,stingray,salmon,steelhead, fishing. I just need to know how to set my line up.

B
beaverfan
well depends on what your using. i assume you are taking powerbait? if so they way i usually do it is i take a couple split shot and put em about 18 inches or so from my size 6-8 single hook with two chartreuse powereggs.

O
osmosis
for bait I really have done well using the berkley "power nymph". Rigged the same way that beaverfan does. I like the size #6 Owner mosquito hooks.
I like the power nymph because it has the same scent as powerbait, much less mess, and the way it is shaped is a suggestive bug and if gets them to bite even when jigged or casted and retrieved slowly. Also until you get one that swallows it all the way (does happen often if you leave it holding still) you get it back so you are off to the races again quickly.

My most used trout rig is a small spinner (size 2 or smaller) tied directly to 4lb mainline. casted and retrieved and sometimes twitching it on the retrieve.

S
SmallStreams
If I use bait (I almost never do these days), I rig like the other two, using worms, grasshoppers, or salmon eggs. Often don't bother with the weight on small streams.

Spinners and flies, I tie directly to the line. I usually use 3/8 or 1/4 oz roostertail or bangtail. With wobblers, I'll pop a swivel in there. Flies might get weighted or might not.

Troutski
Troutski
Slip bobber and nightcrawler...

Slip bobber and nightcrawler...

I recommend a slip bobber set up; drifting a piece of nightcrawler, you can adjust the depth in an instant and not have to worry about having to much line between the bobber and the bait. A slip bobber elevates this issue...very productive presentation for Trout..at least it has served me well over the years.

Chuck