How to put line on a spinning reel

plumbertom
plumbertom
I bought a new spinner to fish with and spooled it with new braid.
I used my usual knot to attach the braid to the spool and spun it full.
I was gonna use the new rig to fish with when I noticed the entire load of braided line spins freely on the spool.
Who has a recommendation as to what knot to use that will not slip or should I try applying a little friction tape to the spool before re-spooling?

C_Run
C_Run
I'd put several feet of mono on first and tie the braid to that. I read that somewhere and that's what I've been doing. Seems to work.

Reactions: fromthelogo, NKlamerus and plumbertom
P
Pni_fisherdude
You can also use a small rubber band on the spool to give the line something to grip.

00Swede
00Swede
Spinning reel or casting reel, friction tape and arbor knot, always.

Reactions: wils, plumbertom and Admin
plumbertom
plumbertom
C_Run said:
I'd put several feet of mono on first and tie the braid to that. I read that somewhere and that's what I've been doing. Seems to work.
I considered doing this.
But I think I'll give the friction tape and arbor knot a try.
Friction tape was my first thought.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
plumbertom said:
I considered doing this.
But I think I'll give the friction tape and arbor knot a try.
Friction tape was my first thought.

I use the 'knot and tape' method and haven't had any issues.

bass
bass
I fill my reels at least half full (usually more like 2/3 full) with cheap mono then tie on the braid. This cuts the braid cost way down.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
I use mono and then braid.

DO NOT use electrical tape, we used it in Florida and it got so hot the glue melted and became an absolute mess. Little bit of beach sand and it was pretty much unusable.

Can't wait for Shimano to step up and put a rubber ring at the base of the spool, the Penn's my father uses already use it.

plumbertom
plumbertom
I wrapped the spool with some white Med tape and then tied the knot. after re-spooling the braid no longer slips.

Reactions: 00Swede
M
McMudpuddle
Wrap it TIGHT! I've had all kinds of issues when it's been wound on like mono. The tighter the better.

plumbertom
plumbertom
McMudpuddle said:
Wrap it TIGHT! I've had all kinds of issues when it's been wound on like mono. The tighter the better.
I ran the line through a towel I use to do reel cleaning with a tight grip on it. it did feel especially tight to crank the reel but the line seems closely fitted. At least when I was pulling line to set the drag it didn't dig into the previous wraps.
I guess I'll be satisfied with the way it is until I get out on the water to use, them it's either gonna be good or it's not.

P
pinstriper
The first time to let a bunch out and reel it back in, it will be set as tight as you will be able to keep it. You dan’t maintain a wind any tighter than it spools on in normal use.

The real problem is new, loosely loaded line, you hook a hog or (more likely) a snag and all your tugging just cuts the line into the spool and future casts are affected until its all been unloaded past those points and spooled back on. The occasional long drift/swing will work this out.

Reactions: 00Swede