How to cook bass?

U
Username
anyone know how to cook bass? I tried bass and blue gill last summer. My god, that bass was the worst thing I have ever ate in my entire life. Some people say if you catch them in the winter they taste better than trout? Blue gill wasn't as bad as bass but i'm still in no hurry to try it again.

C
Combat Chuck
Largemouth are awful. Smallmouth out of clean water arent bad.

G
grampa ron
Don't believe Chuck.
I eaten a lot of Bass in the past out of water you couldn't see 6in into. I had no problem. Sometimes I fillet them, and dip the fillets in egg and roll them in crushed cutons. Sometimes, if I cook them on the barbeque, I don't even scale them or remove the scales. I start by putting them on a cold barby. As it warms up I keep turning them over so they don't burn. When done you can peel off the skin in one piece. It's the least wastfull way to cook them. By the way, if you want the Bass to be there next time, release them.

W
waco
I think chuck is referring to clean water as a water with out sewer problems!! But if you are talking about the same kind of water, I can't imagine the smell if it's only 6 inch of visibility!! :naughty: :lol:

B
Benning
After you filet them, cut away as much of the red meat by the lateral line as you can. Put the fillets in a bowl of water and let them sit in the fridge overnight. If you do that, they should taste just fine.

T
Tinker
Striped bass, white bass and hybrid striped bass are tasty. Every other bass tastes like poo. Tasty bass? Really? Even back where bass are supposed to be, no one catches them to eat. They want to eat fish, they fish for catfish. Not bass.

If you beer-batter the daylights out of it, slather it with tartar sauce and add a side of fresh jalapenos, they taste okay. As long as you put enough other stuff on it to cover up the bass taste.

Yuk!

;)

C
colbypearson
If you are going to eat bass, eat bass that are under 2lbs. Anything much over that has spent an extended amount of time in whatever fishery you pulled them from. And keep them in moderation depending on where you are fishing.

Have you ever tried crappie? Delicious.

Last edited:
T
Tinker
colbypearson said:
...Have you ever tried crappie? Delicious.

Yes they are, but lake perch have them beat, hands down.

H
HereFishy
grampa ron said:
Don't believe Chuck.
I eaten a lot of Bass in the past out of water you couldn't see 6in into. I had no problem. Sometimes I fillet them, and dip the fillets in egg and roll them in crushed cutons. Sometimes, if I cook them on the barbeque, I don't even scale them or remove the scales. I start by putting them on a cold barby. As it warms up I keep turning them over so they don't burn. When done you can peel off the skin in one piece. It's the least wastfull way to cook them. By the way, if you want the Bass to be there next time, release them.

I've heard that if you use mayonnaise instead of eggs, it tastes phenomenal.

B
Benning
I put Parmesan cheese in a bowl then add some basil, black pepper, garlic powder and salt, then dredge the fillets in that and pan fry with a little olive oil.

T
TJR_84
Any white meat fish i make poor mans lobster!!! Taste amazing.

O
ORfisherman
Don't eat freshwater bass. ODFW spends millions on stocker trout for a reason.