How to conect your pole sections togther?

Spydeyrch
Is there a "correct" way to connect the different sections of a pole together? I have always connected them at right a quarter turn and then as I push them together, I twist them so that they lineup correctly. I have read many parts of books and seen several videos that say to do it this way.

But yesterday I found a video that says that you should just push them together, straight on. No twisting, no quarter turns, nothing. Just straight on. His reasoning was that if you twist it as you push them together, you could weaken the connection points. (Sorry, I don't remember the technical name. :confused: It starts with an "F" and is something like ferrule or something similar. :rolleyes:) And he continued to say that if the connection points are weakened, then the pole could break at any time. That last part is pretty obvious. If the pole has a weak part, it could break there.

But what about the twist/no-twist thing? Is there a "correct" way to connect the different pole sections, or does it just come down to personal preference? Any thoughts on the subject?

-Spydey
 
Modest_Man
My dad's friend used to use liberal amounts of ear wax to help lubricate the male and female ferrule sections. Definitely left a lasting impression on a little kid....

I just go straight on.
 
Spydeyrch
Modest_Man said:
My dad's friend used to use liberal amounts of ear wax to help lubricate the male and female ferrule sections. Definitely left a lasting impression on a little kid....

I just go straight on.

Well, that would definitely keep my wife away from my rods if ever she wanted to use them to "hurt" (as in break them) me to get back at me or something. hahahah lol.

-Spydey
 
chris61182
I'm siding with there's no "correct" way of doing it. The friction, head, and abrasion from twisting is so minute I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. As a matter of fact this thread was the first time any such consideration has crossed my mind.
 
Spydeyrch
The supposed purpose of twisting the sections as you insert them, is to create more points of contact and thus more friction and less of a chance of a section coming lose as you cast or fight a fish.

I know that I have had several times where I went to do a strong cast and ..... whooooppps ..... there goes my top section of my rod out into the water!!! It is hilarious when it happens.

-Spydey
 
ChezJfrey
Spydeyrch said:
The supposed purpose of twisting the sections as you insert them, is to create more points of contact and thus more friction and less of a chance of a section coming lose as you cast or fight a fish.

I know that I have had several times where I went to do a strong cast and ..... whooooppps ..... there goes my top section of my rod out into the water!!! It is hilarious when it happens.

-Spydey

I have never had that happen...ever. And if it did, I wouldn't admit it publicly. And I might pray that when it did...er, if it did, I might pray that I don't snag up on the retrieve and have the line break off. ;)
 
mrlindeman
Any rod I push straight in. The reason is it does not cause friction heat and binding. We did a twist and push on my womans rod the other day by accident and while both of us trying everything to part the rod, a guide cracked :) I was able to fix it but it sucked.
 
chris61182
ChezJfrey said:
I have never had that happen...ever. And if it did, I wouldn't admit it publicly. And I might pray that when it did...er, if it did, I might pray that I don't snag up on the retrieve and have the line break off. ;)

Not that I'd know, or have had happen :cool:, but I hear there's something even worse. Apparently if your lure snags up after your rod has started to work apart, but before it's been cast off, when you pull on it to break free of the snag, I hear that the rod can break at the connection :redface:.
 
mlw
Speycasters in particular need to be careful about keeping sections tight - a loose connection is an easy way to break a rod. For larger rods, heavier lines some folks put a wrap of electrical tape on after assembly. A little paraffin or candle wax is probably less oily than ear wax. I can see excessive twisting wearing a ferrule over time, but a quarter turn seems almost necessary to line up sections.
 
Top Bottom