How many of you use spincast reels? ..how many use braid with them?

S
Senkosam
I found out recently that using braid with spincast reels is possible - even casting light jigs + plastic. There are guidelines that must be followed or casting problems become a big pain. Can share them if anyone is interested.

Reactions: fromthelogo and plumbertom
plumbertom
plumbertom
Senkosam said:
I found out recently that using braid with spincast reels is possible - even casting light jigs + plastic. There are guidelines that must be followed or casting problems become a big pain. Can share them if anyone is interested.
It never hurts to have more information, so share away.
Just knowing what's needed may help some decide whether to pursue purchase of a spin cast reel for use with braid.
I have a couple of Zebcos in my arsenal that I mostly keep for people that are not ready for a casting reel. Adding braid would be a possible option.
My mother loved to fish and all she ever used were Zebco reels. She even landed a 35 Lb Striped bass using a big Zebco reel.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: DonF and troutdude
S
Snopro
For Snoopy/Barbie rod comps, people have been stripping mono off and winding on braid for decades.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
I didn't know either but I guess it never crossed my mind, I bet you could really launch some baits

The only thing I recommend is the usual basics, wet the line with warm water before spooling, spool it tightly, better to be tighter and too loose, you will regret it

Suffix 832 is my go-to, softer than powerpro and lasts much longer

Not sure if most spin casts have a line tie knob? If the spool isn't rubberized the braid can actually spin around the spool as a whole unit, or back with some mono

Reactions: plumbertom and Casting Call
Casting Call
Casting Call
NKlamerus said:
I didn't know either but I guess it never crossed my mind, I bet you could really launch some baits

The only thing I recommend is the usual basics, wet the line with warm water before spooling, spool it tightly, better to be tighter and too loose, you will regret it

Suffix 832 is my go-to, softer than powerpro and lasts much longer

Not sure if most spin casts have a line tie knob? If the spool isn't rubberized the braid can actually spin around the spool as a whole unit, or back with some mono
Use a clove hitch tighten with two half hitches. clove hitch acts like a gripper hitch in fact pass the line under the cross couple three times OR just use an Arbor Knot for under 5lb fish. Tony

Reactions: plumbertom, rogerdodger and NKlamerus
S
Senkosam
plumbertom said:
Just knowing what's needed may help some decide whether to pursue purchase of a spin cast reel for use with braid.
I have a couple of Zebcos in my arsenal that I mostly keep for people that are not ready for a casting reel. Adding braid would be a possible option.
My mother loved to fish and all she ever used were Zebco reels. She even landed a 35 Lb Striped bass using a big Zebco reel.
First off, plastic line works okay with spincast reels as long as there's no line memory (coils coming out of the cap) or line twist.
I've found that braid requires certain things to cast smoothly - especially light lures.

1. The aperture or hole in the cap must be large. Too small a hole and the greater resistance/friction to the cast and retrieve.

2. I finally confirmed the other reason I was having problems casting a 1/32 oz jig + plastic 40' or more. If the line isn't wound evenly around the spool, braid especially catches on small line loops and uneven line winds. If I have a distance casting problem, I take off the cap and hand-wind the line evenly and tightly. Now it casts light lures and braid with no problem. Too much line or too little line on the spool also is problematic.

3. I make sure the inside of the cap is clean and shiny for maximum distance and accuracy.

4. I save on fishing line by having mono or f/c the first 2/3 on the spool and then use a double uni-knot to tie it to braid. The braid I use is 8lb test/6lb diameter.

C
Cooper
As noted above, only certain knots are reliable when tying mono to braided line.

S
Snopro
Cooper said:
As noted above, only certain knots are reliable when tying mono to braided line.
I learned how to tie the FG during COVID. Now it's my favorite braid to mono/fluoro connection. About as thin as a connection knot can be and almost 100% strength.

S
Socaaron
My two cents is DO NOT OVERSPOOL. Because braid is so slippery I have found that if you load the spool to the very limit of capacity you're opening yourself to a world of pain and annoyance with birdsnests.
With braid i like to leave myself a decent lip remaining on the spool. You're going to get way more line spooled with braid even when lining up with higher breaking strength due to the comparable thickness.

Reactions: Senkosam
S
Snopro
The question I have is why would you use a spin cast reel over any other type of reel? All I see are disadvantages.

S
Senkosam
bubs said:
The question I have is why would you use a spin cast reel over any other type of reel? All I see are disadvantages.
I find it easier to cast light lures under overhanging tree limbs and under docks using spincast same as for baitcast. For pitching lures in tight spots, spinning seems better.
A smaller rod length is usually used with spincast reels; usually med.-light action. Spincast rods do fine with spinning reels since both types are pretty much the same: line that unravels from a spool.

My arthritis/carpal tunnel was a pain and I needed to be able to switch back and forth.

Reactions: OneMomentOneDay
S
Senkosam
One thing I just learned was that a spincast reel - especially one that is over 5 years old - tends to have problems inside the gear case.
My Daiwa Silvercast 100a reel had a problem with the anti-reverse so I figured - no problem taking it apart and putting it back together. Ugh Ugh!! Some of the parts are tiny and tweezers even have a problem holding on to them. Without a schematic, it was trial & error reassembling it.

One thing I found out was that certain parts can be super-glued permanently so I don't have to mess with finding them on the floor after dropping them a dozen times. Once I figured out which screw goes where and which parts fit together for the anti-reverse to work, good to go! (Note: good thing I had tiny head screwdrivers!)

Now it was just a matter of winding the braid firmly on the spool to within 1/8" or so from the lip edge and try casting a lure at least 40+ feet. It cast a 1/16 oz jig + plastic lure that far on the first cast! The drag was smooth and anti-reverse perfect.

Next I wonder if spraying the line with a silicone spray might help ease of casting distance. Couldn't hurt to spray the spool cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: OneMomentOneDay
O
OneMomentOneDay
Senkosam said:
I have been using braided line on a pen reel for a couple of years. Not an expert but caught some 9-20 lb salmon on lures and jigs last year and so far one 10 lber this year.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Oh! please don't silicone anything I don't fish to live in, you know what mean!!!!! Tony

S
Senkosam
Update on spincast reels in general and braid:
Some spincast reels do not cast light lures using braid due to braid's slightly coarser texture and especially when the cap's line exit hole is small. In that case, fluorocarbon or mono work far better casting 1/16 oz or heavier lures a longer distance without linr hanging up inside the cap.

Reactions: Cooper
C
Cooper
Snopro said:
I learned how to tie the FG during COVID. Now it's my favorite braid to mono/fluoro connection. About as thin as a connection knot can be and almost 100% strength.
FG???? I am but a rookie

S
Socaaron

Reactions: Snopro
S
Snopro
Learning the FG will take a few trys, but it's time worth spending.

D
DonF
plumbertom said:
Your mom had it right. Use the reel's your comfortable with. I wouldn't have a closed face reel, spinning or casting. That doesn't mean squat! Just one mans opinion on the type of reels he likes.

Reactions: plumbertom