How bad are the skeeters?

K
kornphlake
I'm planning on taking a trip to crane prairie and cultus lake next week with a scout troop in tow. I was down in that area last summer toward the end of July and the mosquitoes were pretty thick, which I'm sure is common for the region. Have the mosquitoes hatched already and how bad is it going to be next week?

troutdude
troutdude
I haven't been there lately. But, based on my experience in Pest Control...I'd take all of the lotions, sprays, and coil repellants and such that I could muster up. It's been an usually warm winter; and recently a lot of rain. All of that means we will have more insects out on the prowl. So, gear up is my advice.

N
nyersa
When I was up at cultus for dads weekend there were a few, but the wind kept them away for the most part. However, two weeks earlier at crane prairie they were trying to carry us away. My daughter is still scratching at her ankles, so I would bring it all.

J
jdycols
Yeah, it would be a very good work to carry along the insect repellents as it is sure that you will have to face such circumstances that you will be thanking God that you took these stuff along with you. I would suggest you to carry along these in a good amount as you never when the need arises. Good luck!

S
SmallStreams
When my friends and I were on the Little Deschutes on last weekend in June without repellent, my friend that wore a "safari shirt" (ventilated long sleeve shirt) suffered no bites while I, in my short sleeves, had 60 bites. So... in lieu of repellent, wear long sleeves.

Strangely, my bites didn't itch and I was very happy for that!