how about...

G
Grace2u
Trillumn lake..(spelling) and Harriet lake....are these accessable...thanx Guys and Gals

O
OnTheFly
Grace2u said:
Trillumn lake..(spelling) and Harriet lake....are these accessable...thanx Guys and Gals

Trillium is still snowed in and Harriet is accessable.

S
scouternw
Trillium. Have never fished Trillium but hear it is good fishing, better over by the dam. Almost live at Harriet. Harriet is being stocked again this week with a bunch of catchable AND 420'ish Trophy size (16"+). It will be crowded come the weekend. Bank fishing will be tough with as many people as usually follow the stocking truck! It is a long and narrow lake.

G
Grace2u
Just to let you guys know a little about these lakes, now I am no expert here , but I started fishing trillium in the early 70,s and I first fished Harriet in 64 when I WAS 14 years old .
PGE AT the time had a lodge or something built over the front part of the lake,we use to go up there and stay on weekend over niter with the youth group I was in but in the 70.s they tor it down, that is why you see the stump like things in the upper part of the lake, these were the foundations for the lodge.
Now it can be a tricky lake to fish, I have a theory now it i just a theory, But when they first stock these lake , especially when they have snow water coming in them, the lakes are abnormally cold, when the planters and the trophy size trout are raised in a little warmer water. and so when they are induced in these cold mountain lakes this time of year it shocks the fish system and they stay dormet for a short period. and from what I have seen they perk up when the water temp rises a little or when there is a first rain. because I have been up there right after the truck dumped in and for approx 3 days ,not a nibble, then when things change BAM!..this happen to me on time in Harriet we got skunked big time and we seen fish rolling and splashing all over so we noticed a weather system coming in , and we got up there right when it was a heavy over cast cloudy day....we were catching fish all over and just trolling a worm by itself or just casting and reeling in from a canoe.
In early to mid October we would fish the upper arm approx 300 yards up from where the drainage from Timothy comes in to Harriet with a bumble bee pattern "woolly worm"
and do very well on big Browns.

Now trillium is not as finicky you can just relax and catch fish in this lake with just about anything worm and bobber just drifting in a rubber raft or boat, but i like to try things different we kill them every time here with using a fluorescent pink and silver triple teaser. for some reason here that works great, we tried it in Benson lake and NOTHING!.... but when we tried the , what we call, the bumble bee pattern rooster tail, the ones with the yellow body and black dots, with dark hackle. we limit out every time in Benson lake , with them .
And then again if we use the bumble bee rooster tail in Trillium it is not that good, I found out last year that when i caught two , what you would call trophy size, in trillium I was using a small frog flatfish, this is a great set up when I fished Ollilie lake.
Now many of you probably have your own set up that works great, is some of thee lakes local lakes. But I have found out over the years when the lakes water temp warms up a tad, then fishing can be great, then in the dead of summer from mid July to end of august I only fish evening for trout or I am fishing washington for summer steel head.

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
Grace2u.....Thank you for the interesting history of Harriet Lake. I was wondering if you or your family have any pictures. If so, post them up, I'd enjoy seeing that old structure out there.

You are right on the money about the trout behaviour. Water temp was in the 40's and it seems they wake up tremendously once it get's into the 50's. As you know, they will eventually decrease water flow up at Timothy and the lake should warm up a tad.

G
Grace2u
ONTHEFLY......I am sorry I don't have any pics of the place, that was on Harriet lake, it was owned at that time By PGE, because the fella that took us up there was a lineman for PGE. Now maybe in the PGE office some where they may have a pic of it.

Now i am going to let you guys in on a secret, Now this is what I was told a few years ago by a fella that hunted and fished the Oak grove fork and Harriet lake all the time He use to trap for the government, and his son use to log up there allot and he killed some real nice bucks and elk up there, I have never done this so stay with me.
The reason I am saying this is just because "they are planted trout for crying out loud" My wife is a flight Attendant for Alaska airlines and I can go up and fish in Alaska for nothing, so what I am telling you here is not that big of a deal to me. the reason I haven't TOLD anyone else is Mainly because all the friends that I Know that still trout fish,fish over in Central Oregon. they would not mess with Harriet lake.

So what Gail told me was the when the ODFW dump the first couple of plantings of trout in Harriet lake the water is so cold that it screws the fish up and they are looking for a way out they get disoriented and many go over the spill way over the dam, now he use to go down below and catch the heck out of them below the dam after a day or 2 of them settling down. I know there is a big pipe that the water goes down to Three links. but where they go from over the dam IDONT KNOW i HAVE NEVER BEEN DOWN THERE....nor do I know if you were allowed to fish anywhere around there . Now Gail was no BS,R and that was a while ago he told me this, what has changed since then I do not know. But he fished that lake along with Timothy Lake and shinning lake for approx 15 years..

So if if any of you guys are adventurest give it a try and let me know how you did , IF you are alowed to do it at all.

Last edited: