Hot bass fishing in Texas

Irishrover
Irishrover
I've never fished much for bass. Growing up in Oregon around the Sandy, Clackamas, and Molalla rivers I just fished for salmon steelhead and trout. Now temporarily located in Centeral Texas I'm like a fish out of water. I have been out a few times for bass and dicovered what I've been missing. Those large mouth bass really slam a moving fly. What a kick and even more fun with my grandkids along. The problem is the heat down here. It hasn't been below 100 sine I've been here. The lakes are very warm 79 to 80 degrees and the fish don't seem to do much until just before dark. That's when the fish seem to feed down here. Right when the sun comes off the lake they start and you just have a short time to fish. Any suggestions for hot water bass fishing?;)

Reactions: eggs
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Good to hear you are expanding your horizons...:D sorry,couldn't resist since Texas is nearly all horizon with a few bumps in the scenery.:lol: Be very careful of the heat, it is very dangerous. I lost count of the people dropping like flies from heat exhaustion at the truck stops and rest areas. :shock: Other than that, I have no experience with hot water bass fishing and am of no help at all. Have fun and come back soon.

B
bigsteel
good to hear your gettin into fish lonn.

Reactions: OnTheFly
O
OnTheFly
Hot water fishing can be tough. Try using an Ice Cube fly. It's made out of clear mylar plastic and it naturally floats like a real ice cube. The fish will be attracted to it like a cold frosty beer. Seriously I've got no idea but mid day fishing would be unproductive and out of the question. Get back to Oregon soon. The lakes are starting to pick up again.

F
Finneus Polebender
You need to concentrate at dusk and dawn on topwater baits ie buzz baits strike king rage plastics"toads ,eels , lizards,etc" dahlberg frogs ,spro frogs , money hounds,jitterbugs poppers. any other time of day you need to go deep and it will be tough . pre dawn and dawn will be best "coolest time "

Irishrover
Irishrover
Finneus Polebender said:
You need to concentrate at dusk and dawn on topwater baits ie buzz baits strike king rage plastics"toads ,eels , lizards,etc" dahlberg frogs ,spro frogs , money hounds,jitterbugs poppers. any other time of day you need to go deep and it will be tough . pre dawn and dawn will be best "coolest time "
Thanks I think I'll make it an evening show. It's too darn hot here during the day.

Reactions: bigsteel
Irishrover
Irishrover
Raincatcher you are right on about that heat. The news mentions someone kicking the bucket from heat just about every day. 50 days of 100+ degree heat is hard on this old Harold Street boy!

Jim any thing that looks like ice is going directly into my glass of Jameson!!!! I'd sure like to hit the lake with you Dave and the rest of the gang. I really miss oregon.

Reactions: OnTheFly
E
eggs
I hear wearing nascar driving suits /w sponsors naturally and a case of ice cold busch light help the bite..

Reactions: bigsteel and OnTheFly
L
lilsalmon
We will save a spot for you here....I don't know about anyone else but if it is like Florida...I pass Glad you are able to fish Lonn

Reactions: bigsteel