Hook problems

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
I made it down to the Sandy River today with the spey rod. It was a great day, sunshine and no wind! Fantastic conditionsions to swing flies. I tied up some flies last night, alway like to have a few new ones to take along to loose in the river bottom.:)
Today I hooked the bottom and worked to get the fly out. When I got the fly back to the top I took a look at it and saw that it broke off just past the point of the hook. I was using 10lbs leader and figured it would snap before the hook would. I've had this happen before always with Umqua Tiemco hooks. Guess I need to use different hooks.

Last edited:
M

Markcanby

Looks like thats about where the barb would be. I bet they are cut to deep. Maybe try some barbless.

H

halibuthitman

well on a positive note, if it was stuck on the bottom you were gettin down to were the fish live!;) on a serious note, I have recently had this problem with E.C ever since they switched to their lazer sharp branding... I use tiemcos on my bead set-ups and have only broken a few.. same with the owners I use on sturgeon and the mustad I use for halibut/ocean fish... I check my hooks with pliers in my tying vice... suprising how many break.

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
Checking the hooks in the vise, now that's a good idea. Mark was right I overlaid the broken hook on a new hook and the break was right at the barb. I'll use up the hooks I have left and then consider a different hooks next time. HHM yes the good news is I do get those flies to find the bottom. If I don't loose a couple to the rocks I figure I'm fishing too high in the water.:lol: Thanks for the vise idea.

L

lilsalmon

Wow...halibut on a fly rod......that would be awesome

H

halibuthitman

Wow...halibut on a fly rod......that would be awesome
lol... I don't check the hali hooks in a fly vice!!... but I have caught 2 10-15 lb halibut in volcano bay alaska while casting my 7 wt for sockeye... halibut come up into the water column to feed on candle fish and herring.. and will often smack anything in front of them, 2 guides that I know of actually offer guided trips for fly caught halibut!

L

lilsalmon

nice.....have to add that to my bucket list....actually I call it something else but can't put it here...its something like f****t list....I may have just hijacked this thread....sorry IR......

Top Bottom