Help ID this alien creature

S
Snagglehook
Found this thing in my sink today.

larvalCthulhu2.jpg

So while I was looking for the blowtorch to clean/annihilate my sink with the purifying power of fire, I remembered that a customer had hooked me up with some razor clams this morning and I was rinsing off some of the sand in that sink.

Maybe this creature is from this planet, perhaps of the sea. But was it a stowaway? A parasite? Or have we been misled on how clams have babies? Anyone have any idea what this thing is?

Here's a shot of the other side in case Sir Mix a Lot is a forum member.

larvalCthulhu1.jpg

P
playhooky
Looks chewy! But.....probably won't be trying one. Interesting. [emoji106]

S
Snagglehook
Snagglehook said:
But was it a stowaway? A parasite?

The worm is thought to be commensally parasitic (i.e. does not negatively affect its host) with clams and snails living in their mantles and eating plankton. Ironically, this “parasite” hosts its own variety of parasites including Haplosporidium malacobdellae, a sporozoan, which can cause castration or death to the worm.

Oh, so like an unwelcomed roommate that's on time with rent but prone to debilitating venereal diseases? I've had those.

The roomates, not the diseases.

Aervax
Aervax
It is odd and scary that you actually know what that is. Are you the Rainman of marine invertebrates, or a scientist who studies that kind of stuff?

M
Modest_Man
Maybe a little of both? I knew it was a flatworm but had to look up which species. I have found them before when cleaning razor clams. Showed one to my wife and now I get to eat ALL the clams.

B
BaldTexan
Looks like a Berkley Gulp sand worm. Go catch a surf perch!

W
wils
Let us know how it tastes.

Top Bottom