Heading to the Wilson Tomorrow

G
Green_Tackle
I'm heading out to the coast tomorrow and get to fish the Wilson a bit on the way out. I mostly fish the Wilson for winter steelies, but, last year I went out in the summer and there were gobs of people on the river. I ended up swimming instead of fishing (if you can't beat 'em... join 'em)

So, this time I'm bringing a small fly rod instead of steelhead gear. And, I need to pick some less populated areas to fish. Any suggestions on where I can find some pools with cutthroat without the river rats floating around?

I would head out early as possible. If not you will be driving around quite a bit. Head down low on the wilson there is a pull out around mm7 that has a nice stretch of water that might be good for your fly rod. If not there start heading up river to mile markers: 15, 21, 27 for steelies. I have found more smolts than cuttys up river. Hope this helps...

I went last week saw one 5lb summer in a hole mp 12. Started up high nothing not even smolts. Then fished lower river lots of 5 inchers. Stopped fishing after catching 3 of them rather quickly, I would rather catch them in a few years.

Fished the Wilson yesterday for trout - only caught a couple rainbow - everything else was cutties. I was swinging soft hackles mostly - there were no risers, despite two different hatches coming off. They loved those wet flies though. I fished for about 8 hours, and probably landed 15 or 20 cutties (mostly 6 or 7 inchers, with a couple 10's and 12's) total. I started up by MM27 and hopped down stream from there. I like the runs just downstream of the forestry center, and down by the drift boat slides. I never went lower than Vanderzanden yesterday. Fishing was great. The river is really low, and very clear. Stealth is a good thing, I was keeping low most of the time, but I was also catching most of my fish close in - swinging my wet flies on 20' casts, keeping the line tight. Great fun.

WilsonTroutTripAug201121.png

WilsonTroutTripAug20117.png

WilsonTroutTripAug201110.png

WilsonTroutTripAug20119.png

WilsonTroutTripAug201141.png

I was below the FC yesterday am. Very low and slow and also very clear. Better luck in the few spots that had moving water but too many smolts. Only one cutty 10 inch.