Harriet Lake Fishing Reports 2021

B
BrandonBeach
Two weeks ago:
Small wooleys in green or black. With floating line ,12’ leader long cast or kick troll out line and painfully slow strip in with pauses. I cheated, put just on just a bit of power bait, or garlic scent. Middle of the lake downstream side. Did ok.

Did better at trillium, they put a bunch of absolute monster sized trout in there. A cutt variety of some sort. HEAVY 17-20in.
Smoked a couple, nice pink meat, delicious.
BB

DOKF
DOKF
It is a small lake, easy to float around on. I've had success in the "shallows" with dries, and in the deeper stretches downstream to wards the dam with leeches / BH buggers.

Bring a good selection, and try everything!

The gear chuckers usually monopolize the fishing docks, especially at the Oak Fork inlet, but that still leaves lots of opportunities on the opposite banks.

The fish move around, but you can usually see and target the risers (tend to be browns). I have had success with slow troll of emergers or leeches most places on the lake.

J
Jay K
akbrad said:
Thanks Jay... yeah, we will have a mid day drive...should be nice... might even check out a few of the creeks... pretty much a Tenkara fisher these days...always ready fling a fly to any size fish... thanks again for your help and info... Brad
The Tenkara way looks interesting for those smaller streams coming off mount hood if you don’t mind the log hopping. Never tried it but the video’s look pretty straight forward. I imagine it’s more challenging than it looks. Can a cheaper rod work as beginning gear or is it a waste of money.

akbrad
akbrad
Jay... Tenkara is actually more versatile than folks realize... I have caught from my float tube up to 26" trout with my 13'6" Tenkara USA Amago ($180)... a good starting length is around 12' to 12'6"...this will do in most small to mid sized streams... the general rule is use the longest rod possible given river/shore conditions (open to tree lined shores)... I have not had a chance but my Amago would be perfect for the Deschutes redsides around Warm Springs and Maupin using 18 to 20' of line ... of course smaller mountain streams are usually a sweet spot for Tenkara...

How much to spend to try it? I would say a $100 rod would land you a decent 12' rod... realize--no reel, just 12 to 14' leader, 4-5' of tippet and just a few fly patterns (wet/dry) often using the reverse hackle fly(referred to as "sakasa kebari" pattern)... no match the hatch pressure as your fly presentation with minimum line on the water is the key to Tenkara styled success and attracting fish...

To review a large array of rods of various costs and sizes, on the web, check out Tristan @ Tenkara Addict...he has a video where he reviewed this January his arsenal of 12 or 14 rods... Other great websites include Tenkara USA (Daniel) who pioneered Tenkara in the US (I own 3 of their rods--Amago, Sato, and Rhodo--$170 to 250), Tom @ Teton Tenkara (he has great reviews of T rods--probably the best reviewer) is another great blog/video resource, and finally, check out Tenkara Bum--with great articles and guidance on all things Tenkara and beyond... those sites will really get you the info you need to decide (p.s. local vendors are limited, best to deal direct with T rod companies)

Finally, know that for 3 years now I have only used my Amago on lakes from my float tube and have been equally successful vs past use of my Western rods... bottom line, I have found Tenkara simplifies my approach with presentation and flies... takes very little practice to "cast" 15' of line (kids can pick it up in 15 minutes), but presentation and keeping the line off the water and floating and/or sinking your fly is the trick, magic, and charm... it is "so simple"... and productive immediately... yeah, I am a believer... if you have $100 bucks or so, do some research, call any of the Tenkara vendors and discuss your "price range" ... they are a gracious, friendly, and informative group... not to go wrong...

Happy researching...let me know what direction you choose to go... would definitely encourage you to try it...you may get hooked at its simplicity and elegance...

akbrad
akbrad
BrandonBeach said:
Two weeks ago:
Small wooleys in green or black. With floating line ,12’ leader long cast or kick troll out line and painfully slow strip in with pauses. I cheated, put just on just a bit of power bait, or garlic scent. Middle of the lake downstream side. Did ok.

Did better at trillium, they put a bunch of absolute monster sized trout in there. A cutt variety of some sort. HEAVY 17-20in.
Smoked a couple, nice pink meat, delicious.
BB
BB...thanks for your suggestions...as with many lakes the ol' wooley bugger "can't be beat"!

akbrad
akbrad
DOKF said:
It is a small lake, easy to float around on. I've had success in the "shallows" with dries, and in the deeper stretches downstream to wards the dam with leeches / BH buggers.

Bring a good selection, and try everything!

The gear chuckers usually monopolize the fishing docks, especially at the Oak Fork inlet, but that still leaves lots of opportunities on the opposite banks.

The fish move around, but you can usually see and target the risers (tend to be browns). I have had success with slow troll of emergers or leeches most places on the lake.
DOFK... thanks for your info... sounds perfect for our float tube approach...love that "dries" are workable in the shallows... and locations you mentioned... with 3 days, and the modest size the lake, will no doubt explore much of the surface... see what happens... for sure, it will all be "good"!

DOKF
DOKF
akbrad said:
DOFK... thanks for your info... sounds perfect for our float tube approach...love that "dries" are workable in the shallows... and locations you mentioned... with 3 days, and the modest size the lake, will no doubt explore much of the surface... see what happens... for sure, it will all be "good"!
With 3 days strung together, you will undoubtedly be able to cover all the water and nuances of the lake. I have only ever been there for the late afternoon and evening, but I am sure the morning bites would be a whole 'nuther kettle of fish.

Enjoy!

And let us know how it goes, but maybe keeping a few secrets close to your chest. ;-)

DOKF
DOKF
Also, I heard rumours that there may be kokanee in the deep end of the lake? I did see a guy trolling for kokanee last summer. But I didn't see him catch anything; trout or otherwise.

To me, it was annoying to hear his loud kicker destroying the quiet solitude of the lake. Know that normal conversations can be clearly heard all across the lake due to the valley acoustics. A motor boat is just obscenely loud in that serene setting.

akbrad
akbrad
Boat motors in Lake Harriet?? yeah, too bad...just did a search and it is one of the few lakes in Mt. Hood NF that allows motored boats... bummer! and thanks for other info on your fishing at the lake... again, should be a hoot! ... hey, just love getting out there in our tubes and casting about with my 20' of line on my Tenkara...

Reactions: beavis and DOKF
akbrad
akbrad
akbrad said:
Jay... Tenkara is actually more versatile than folks realize... I have caught from my float tube up to 26" trout with my 13'6" Tenkara USA Amago ($180)... a good starting length is around 12' to 12'6"...this will do in most small to mid sized streams... the general rule is use the longest rod possible given river/shore conditions (open to tree lined shores)... I have not had a chance but my Amago would be perfect for the Deschutes redsides around Warm Springs and Maupin using 18 to 20' of line ... of course smaller mountain streams are usually a sweet spot for Tenkara...

How much to spend to try it? I would say a $100 rod would land you a decent 12' rod... realize--no reel, just 12 to 14' leader, 4-5' of tippet and just a few fly patterns (wet/dry) often using the reverse hackle fly(referred to as "sakasa kebari" pattern)... no match the hatch pressure as your fly presentation with minimum line on the water is the key to Tenkara styled success and attracting fish...

To review a large array of rods of various costs and sizes, on the web, check out Tristan @ Tenkara Addict...he has a video where he reviewed this January his arsenal of 12 or 14 rods... Other great websites include Tenkara USA (Daniel) who pioneered Tenkara in the US (I own 3 of their rods--Amago, Sato, and Rhodo--$170 to 250), Tom @ Teton Tenkara (he has great reviews of T rods--probably the best reviewer) is another great blog/video resource, and finally, check out Tenkara Bum--with great articles and guidance on all things Tenkara and beyond... those sites will really get you the info you need to decide (p.s. local vendors are limited, best to deal direct with T rod companies)

Finally, know that for 3 years now I have only used my Amago on lakes from my float tube and have been equally successful vs past use of my Western rods... bottom line, I have found Tenkara simplifies my approach with presentation and flies... takes very little practice to "cast" 15' of line (kids can pick it up in 15 minutes), but presentation and keeping the line off the water and floating and/or sinking your fly is the trick, magic, and charm... it is "so simple"... and productive immediately... yeah, I am a believer... if you have $100 bucks or so, do some research, call any of the Tenkara vendors and discuss your "price range" ... they are a gracious, friendly, and informative group... not to go wrong...

Happy researching...let me know what direction you choose to go... would definitely encourage you to try it...you may get hooked at its simplicity and elegance...
Jay... here is great article titled "Top 5 Tenkara Rods for Beginners"... https://moretrout.com/gear/best-tenkara-rod-for-beginners/...
reviewed it, and it provides some great guidance, good review of where each rod fits in for beginners... again enjoy the journey...
Brad

J
Jay K
akbrad said:

Thank you for all the feedback. I will definitely give it a shot.

akbrad
akbrad
Well, finally reporting on our 7/11-14 trip to Lake Harriett... with this our 1st trip to the lake, it took us a day or so to figure out flies and tactics, but by the last day, we got into 15 to 20 fish an outing... slow trolling our float tubes I was using wooley buggers(weighted Little Fort wooleys #10) w/ a dropper (Utah Killer bug)... 10s and 12s were perfect size... my wife was real successful trolling a tan marabou, light olive #10 wooley bugger (better than the black or olive)--will be tying up several of this colored bugger... that jived with my Utah Killer bug dropper with an oyster body--which got 90% of my hits... virtually no dry fly hits... too bad...had tried a few along the shore but no interests... again, was using a Tenkara rod with about 18' of line out...didn't need to get too deep with the bugger/dropper combo... again was kept real busy the last day or so with this approach... go out past the bouyed line to the corner--hits were numerous there... not too much boat traffic--10 to 12 boats/tubes at the most...

Finally, a road report update... main road from Timothy (mostly paved) reopened 7/15 --no more detours from Timothy... the road from Estacada will be closed all season---still lots of fire damage and fallen trees on the highway from that direction... (reported from Camp host)

Harriett now one of our go to lakes for future trips...great campground, and lake...and with it glacier fed, the water should remain cool in the 58 to 60 degree mark through the summer--the perfect zone for the trout... finally all our fish were 10 to 15" rainbow stockers...although my son in law landed a few browns around the river mouth into the lake...so the natives are still around and can be had with some work...

Reactions: DOKF
akbrad
akbrad
p.s. the Utah Killer Kabari I used @ Harriett is the fly in the photo above username to the left...a great fly for both streams and lakes

akbrad
akbrad
Well we are scheduled again for 5 days next week at Harriett...looking for any fishing reports in the last few weeks... assume the lake should still be poppin' with fish...cooler nights but lake levels maybe down a little... will look for any updates on your recent outings on the lake...successes? what flies you found worked... suspect will start with my previously successful recipe in July of a wooley bugger and Utah killer dropper trolled slowly from my float tube ala a 18' leader w/ my Tenkara rod... your reports?

Reactions: DOKF and Admin
DOKF
DOKF
Anxiously awaiting your reports ...

J
Jay K
Made a quick trip to Harriet on Saturday morning. Service road 57 is open so no more detour. Saw success pitching rooster tails off the fishing platform with a handful of Rainbows caught and released. No interest in eggs or power baits of any kind but others were pulling in an occasional fish. Also watched fly fisherman in their tubes having more success kick trolling whatever setup they were using. There was a fair amount of smoke in the air that on that side of the mountain as well.

Reactions: DOKF and Admin
O
olshiftybiscuits
I was there the other day and watched some idiot pull an 18 inch brown out and carry it back to his campsite, alive and kicking. I nearly pulled it out of his net and threw it into the water. Plain and simple, killing a wild salmonid in a lake full of stockers is a trash move. Leaving it alive to suffocate in the net is pure evil. At least whack the thing. This fool was in his 30s, minimum. Who is raising these people?

O
olshiftybiscuits
akbrad said:
Well we are scheduled again for 5 days next week at Harriett...looking for any fishing reports in the last few weeks... assume the lake should still be poppin' with fish...cooler nights but lake levels maybe down a little... will look for any updates on your recent outings on the lake...successes? what flies you found worked... suspect will start with my previously successful recipe in July of a wooley bugger and Utah killer dropper trolled slowly from my float tube ala a 18' leader w/ my Tenkara rod... your reports?
On all the Hood lakes, chironomids are your best friend.

akbrad
akbrad
Report on our latest trip to Harriet--5 days 9/6 to 9/10 (last open week of campground)... early part of week fish more active and on the surface...Thur/Fri fish down deeper--needed sinking line...but wooly buggers still working... memorable efforts--fewer folks fishing and my wife definitely out-fished me the last 2 days as she was deeper... lots of hits on my smaller (Utah Killer<--my posting photo) dropper (12") than the top fly I was trolling...saw more browns being caught--none myself ... still a lot of 15''ers and bigger still around... and finally, smoke was always around during the week...some times worse than others, but we endured...remains a great float tube/fly fishing lake...suspect many day trippers will enjoy until the snows arrive...the new road from Timothy is open with about 2 miles of gravel still there--pretty easy drive...

Reactions: troutbro and DOKF
Top Bottom