Hand-lining in Oregon . . .

J
John
Curiousity Question :

What are the regulations about hand-lining or using a Hobo fishing reel in Oregon ?

( . . . I’ve been gone for 12 years in Ireland & I need to catch up . . . )

regards,

John

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
I dunneh knoh wha de answers to yooehr question are, but I wouldne be surprised fhr a mahment dat hregon fis'eng regulashuns would have a t'eng hr six to say on de matter.

In all seriousness, I can’t help but I’d be curious myself to know. After living in a number of states in various regions of the country, I can state flatly that Oregon regulations are the most confusing and least user-friendly I’ve yet encountered.

I’ve seen folks in the area using handlines, but they were actual hobos, and as much as it pains me to admit, I don’t talk to them if it can be avoided. They aren’t your literary, Steinbeck type of hobos, they are more the talking to daemons and injecting stimulants type of hobos.

I have buddies in Michigan who handline for walleye on the Detroit river, and I’ve seen it frequently on trips to Mexico, but I’ve never dabbled myself.

What’s the appeal? Simplicity and frugality?

Cheers.

SS

J
John
. . . simplicity is the hardest thing to master . . .

& I like hand-lining . . . 55 years ago I was introduced to hand-lining in Minnesota ice fishing . . .

regards,

John

DOKF
DOKF
To each his own. I probably wasn't doing it "right", but found the line hard on my hands.

Probably better than noodlin', which I have seen but never personally attempted.

troutdude
troutdude
In some 55 years of fishing only in Oregon; I have never seen anyone using such a technique. So I would assume that it's perhaps it isn't a legal method. But you know what assumptions mean...lol

G
gfisher2003
Hand lining isn't specifically mentioned in the regulations, but angling is defined in them as "To take or attempt to take fish for personal use using a hook and line. Also known as fishing" No mention of a pole so it is presumably legal under general regulations

Reactions: John
J
John
gfisher2003 said:
Hand lining isn't specifically mentioned in the regulations, but angling is defined in them as "To take or attempt to take fish for personal use using a hook and line. Also known as fishing" No mention of a pole so it is presumably legal under general regulations
. . . I assume that it includes Tenkara fishing . . . but realize assumptions can be dangerous !

regards,

John

Reactions: gfisher2003
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I am with @gfisher2003. Handling doesn't appear to be mentioned in the regulations as restricted....or even really specifically mentioned in a lot of cases. So far the only places that I can find where handlining would be off limits would be fly fishing only zones where it is not listed that "any type of rod" may be used. It might be worth a phone call to ODFW though.

troutdude
troutdude
J
John
. . . this just in from the ODFW . . . question solved.

• 895786A8-6F57-4D63-97B8-5FF2585B6AC1.jpeg
troutdude
troutdude
There ya go...right from the proverbial horses mouth. And that means handlining is legal. Who knew?

J
John
troutdude said:
There ya go...right from the proverbial horses mouth. And that means handlining is legal. Who knew

. . . I’m 71 years of age & been fishing for 65 years . . .

IMHO “Life is knowledge”.

regards,

John

Reactions: troutdude
DOKF
DOKF
Could you handline a fly?

J
John
DOKF said:
Could you handline a fly?
Yes. I’ve done it myself . . .

regard,

John

DOKF
DOKF
So, even flyfishing allows for handlining ...