Hagg Lake in January

REELY HOOKED
REELY HOOKED
Can anybody share how and where they catch trout in Hagg Lake in January? I would like to take the grandsons out there. Thank you

troutdude
troutdude
I haven't been to Hagg since it's been open year 'round. The season opener used to be the first Saturday in March each year.

Back then the best success, trolling, was flat lining the surface and crossing over the creek inlet drop OFF's. In other words using light gear, with very little weight, and line trailing about 75' behind the boat.

From the bank I'd make sure that my bait was floating into the top 5' - 10' feet of the surface. I typically dunk was OFFering close to the bank; for those fish that are following the shore line foraging for food. Then toss the other line, with heavier slip sinker, out much farther. Just in case any are out there and hunkered down in the cold. (I've gotten the 2-rod endorsement, ever since it was OFFerd).

Good luck and let us know how you do.

bass
bass
I have fished Hagg a fair bit in the winter. Some days I have success trolling but usually I have to end up still-fishing with powerbait. I usually find an area where I mark fish near the bottom in 20-30' and fishthose areas.

Reactions: Unclefishman11 and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
bass said:
I have fished Hagg a fair bit in the winter. Some days I have success trolling but usually I have to end up still-fishing with powerbait. I usually find an area where I mark fish near the bottom in 20-30' and fishthose areas.
Good point my friend. Fish don't want to travel far for food; when they are chilled to their bones. Just like us. lol

jamisonace
jamisonace
Never been there but you'll rarely mark fish under 10' but there are plenty between 5 and 12 in the trout lakes I've fished. Troll near the surface IMO.

Reactions: troutdude
O
olshiftybiscuits
It’s winter trout fishing, so cover as much water as you can, troll slowly and look for them in deeper water. They won’t be along the shorelines or littoral zones. They’ll be out in the middle of the lake. Early in the day, look for them in 15-30 feet of water. If the day warms, they’ll start feeding in the top 10 feet of the water column. But they typically stay out in the middle of the lake vs cruising the shorelines this time of year.

Don’t expect a ton. It’s a big lake, and it hasn’t been stocked in a while. The holdovers can be hard to locate.

Reactions: Unclefishman11
Top Bottom