Got a story. Want your guy's opinions

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
So this happened awhile ago but I just remembered so I thought I'd share it and get your guy's thoughts and opinions. My senior year in high school (2011-2012) one of our teachers said her husband had hooked a sturgeon while fishing for summer steelhead up the Siletz gorge. After hearing this I immediately became skeptical and didn't believe her for numerous reasons. First off why would a sturgeon be in the Siletz gorge? Second of all he didn't land the thing so he didn't get a picture and I don't believe he got a good look at it. Third of all he was using a bobber and a jig which I mean I guess anything is possible but how many sturgeon fisherman use jigs right? All I'm saying is this seems a little ridiculous. I've lived in Siletz damn near my whole life and not once have I heard of someone catching a sturgeon in the Siletz, not even in the lower Siletz near the mouth. Don't get me wrong it is very possible just seems a little fishy. Honestly I think the guy probably hooked a big steely or maybe a late run fall nook that just striped his line and took off with his jig, but what do you think?

D
DrTheopolis
If it was in tidewater, I'd say it was possible.

I've seen smaller ones (dead) in small tributary creeks of the Tualatin. I've seen them near the head of tide in Cloverdale on the Nestucca. But I've never seen nor heard of any above tidewater on the small coastal streams.

J
JonT
SiletzTroutKiller said:
Don't get me wrong it is very possible just seems a little fishy.

Sure.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Up high is hard to believe. Down low, possible. Maybe she was confused about where he was when he hooked it.

M
markasd
Highly doubtful.

R
rainORsnow1
I'd say unlikely, but what I don't get is the fact that if he was gonna lie, why not say it was a 25lb steel or a 50lb nook?
Seems fishy either way to me...

J
JustMe
Are you guys all saying that there is a chance that a fisherman may possibly be embellishing the truth a little bit?:lol::lol:
Last summer I hooked into a Great White shark while trout fishing in the Sierra mountain range in California. Had to be at least 300 pounds. It towed me all over the lake in my float tube. If I wasn't using my ultra light outfit with 4-lb test, I would have landed him. The part that really ticked me OFF was I got a ticket by the Ranger for exceeding the lake 10 mph speed limit when the shark was towing me!

Now THAT'S a fish story....

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
JustME your story literally made my day haha

J
JeannaJigs
None of us can say with certainty that it did or did not happen, but sturgeon are pretty resilient. We have them all the way up the Willamette at Dexter, and that's some 200+ miles from the ocean, and wayyyy above tidewater.

D
DrTheopolis
Yes, they are in the Willy - since they were stocked there. It's also a very large stream.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but with the amount of time I (and my buddies, and the other OFFers, etc.) have spent on smaller coastal streams, and never seen one hint of evidence of them, I'm confident saying sturg don't go far upstream on the North Coast rivers.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Yeah I was gonna say there's a big difference between the Willy and the Siletz

J
JeannaJigs
SiletzTroutKiller said:
Yeah I was gonna say there's a big difference between the Willy and the Siletz

really? you don't say...who knew...

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
JeannaJigs said:
really? you don't say...who knew...

I apologize for responding that way. I wasn't trying to take a shot at you. But you are right it's possible and that's why I started this thread in the first place was to get opinions and I respect yours