golf or fishing

D
davep
Well, I was sitting on the couch watching golf...saw the sun break about 12:15 and decided to take the quick hop to the clack.....I always like fishing on the front end of a front...the low pressure is always good for a bite...anyway, caught 3 fish in a hour and a half...kept one super bright clipper....all on a spinner....thats right, the spinner bite is on....dave
 
Troutski
Troutski
Thanks....

Thanks....

davep said:
Well, I was sitting on the couch watching golf...saw the sun break about 12:15 and decided to take the quick hop to the clack.....I always like fishing on the front end of a front...the low pressure is always good for a bite...anyway, caught 3 fish in a hour and a half...kept one super bright clipper....all on a spinner....thats right, the spinner bite is on....dave

Nice information to have, thanks. Did you get to finish the Golf Match? I am going in the morning myself, just my luck I will be on the back side of the front; that is impossible - kind of like"I'm On Off...;)"
Thanks for the post and looks like a great dinner for you...tight lines

Chuck
 
P
PDXKush
Congrats bro. Way to go on those Chromers. I'll be @ Riverside Tomorrow. PEace
 
Y
youngbuck307
so im not a big spinner fan kinda cost a lil to much to be lossing them like i do..... but whats some good spinners from just the store to use for now. I plan on getting hand made ones just dont have the cash up yet... but whats good for size and color and last what beter the hook they have on them or the extra single hook...think that would be better a lil harder to snag....
 
D
davep
spinners

spinners

First, you really dont loose many spinners if you are fishing them right...dont add weight...just cast upstream a bit and keep its just off the bottom...size 4 or five are best...get chrome color for cloudy days, and brass color for sunny days...bi-mart usually has good prices but if you look on line, you can get some really good deals also...
 
Last edited:
F
Fishtopher
youngbuck307 said:
so im not a big spinner fan kinda cost a lil to much to be lossing them like i do..... but whats some good spinners from just the store to use for now. I plan on getting hand made ones just dont have the cash up yet... but whats good for size and color and last what beter the hook they have on them or the extra single hook...think that would be better a lil harder to snag....

I recomend hittin' up BC Angling Post and draining all the knowledge you can from either Bill(the older guy), or the Alan, the younger hippie kid:)lol:;)). Those guys know more about our local fisheries than a lot or most other guys you could talk to.
You can pick up the spinners they twist for cheaper than the other big name spinners at big name stores too. And if when you are there, you decide you dont really need spinners, they will hook you up with jigs, bait, whatever else you may need.

Anyone know if corkies are sold there? I get mesmorized by all the painted blades on the wall, and always forget to check.
 
A
ArcticAmoeba
No Corkies at B.C... but I did go into Joes yesterday, and I made a deal with the register lady, and a manager in the back. I picked up probably cose to 2,000 corkies for 25 bucks...and the little containers that hold 'em. Those were another dollar a piece. Just abou anything you have to seperate to buyy is going for rock bottom prices. I saw a guy buying a whole recycle bin of random Bass grubs, and other plastics for 50 bucks, and it was stacked to the top!

Spinners just need to be haevy enough to get down quick, and stay down for as long as humanly possible. Drift fishing from the bank is actually pretty difficult, as your gear is only in the fishy zone for a maximum of 4-5 feet. But a heavy unit will maximize the effectiveness of a spinner in the water by keeping it rattlin through a drift longer than something that tends to swing up as soon as it comes perpendicular to the angler. Just a little bit of food for thought. And remember that from the bank you need to keep moving down/up two steps every 5-10 minutes.
 
D
davep
spinners

spinners

Yepl A.A. is on the money as usual.....One of the little secrects I have learned over the years ,(first started spinner fishing for steelies in the deschutes in the late 70s) was based on my fly fishing for Dechutes river fish...Everybody that flyfishes the D knows that most all the fly strikes happen on the swing...usually pretty close to shore at the fish follows the fly on the swing....and thiniks it is getting away as it nears the bank..same with spinners...to extend your swing at the proper fish level, I start letting out line as soon as I feel the weight of the current on the spinner...simpler when using a levelwind than spinning but can be done with both....with just the right rate, you will get more strikes and fish....I also try to visually section the river in 3 ft horrizontal sections from my side of the bank to the far side..one cast for each section then three steps down river (as A.A pointed out)...Remember, its not how much time you spend fishing for the steel, its how smart you fish.....
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: FishFinger
A
ArcticAmoeba
That is such a good piece of information! Section that river off into little drifts, and hit each one until there is no more untouched water left... Then move a bit, and re-start the operation. And it isn't about how often, it how smart you target them. No doubt! And nice fish by the way Dave! Looks like a familiar branch! Haha!:lol:;)
 
M
mgdguy
davep said:
First, you really dont loose many spinners if you are fishing them right...dont add weight...just cast upstream a bit and keep its just off the bottom...size 4 or five are best...get chrome color for cloudy days, and brass color for sunny days...bi-mart usually has good prices but if you look on line, you can get some really good deals also...

This is all great info! :clap: I would love to master spinner drifting for steel.

You say 'keep it just off the bottom'. Are you bouncing it in the drift, or are you reeling? Do you reel at all like you would a spinner in still water, or no?
 
D
davep
spinners

spinners

Ok...If you are looking straight across the river (straight across being 12 o clock) make your cast at about 10:30...when you feel the spinner tick the bottom, give a quick, short lift of your rod...this will engage the spinner blade...every time it ticks the bottom, give a little lift..as you swing across the current, the spinner will lift....reel in and repeat like I said in the previous post
 
Last edited:
M
mgdguy
davep said:
Ok...If you are looking straight across the river (straight across being 12 o clock) make your cast at about 10:30...when you feel the spinner tick the bottom, give a quick, short lift of your rod...this will engage the spinner blade...every time it ticks the bottom, give a little lift..as you swing across the current, the spinner will lift....reel in and repeat like I said in the previous post

Thanks - what's what I thought. I was 'practicing' the similar technique with spoons on the Clack a couple Sundays ago :)
 
A
ArcticAmoeba
It is just drift fishing terminal. Only thing you need to really do, is maintain contact, adn keep the blade fluttering. Highly effective as you can see from Daves post. Same thing goes with spoons, just keep connected to it, and don't retrieve spinners, an spoons like you do in still water.
 
M
mgdguy
Got it - and I'm going to keep doing it until I catch a Clack or Sandy steelie dammit! :lol:

Thanks guys!
 

Similar threads

jamisonace
Replies
3
Views
501
4labs
4labs
The Guides Forecast
Replies
0
Views
151
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
bass
Replies
7
Views
943
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
The Guides Forecast
Replies
29
Views
9K
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
Top Bottom