Gold lake Gold

Irishrover
Irishrover
A few weeks back I was fishing with OnTheFly and we were talking about Gold Lake. I mentioned I was fishing up there one time and could not catch a brookie to save my life. While I was busy not catching fish there were folks around me doing quite well at that task. One fine fellow was saw my complete inaction and was kind enough to offer up a fly that seemed to be doing the job very well. It was fished on a sinking line slow retrieved from the bottom. I used the fly, and my luck change rather quickly. So OTF here it is. When I tie this fly I wrap the hook shank with lead.

Last edited:
Reactions: OnTheFly
E
eggs
Very cool fly

O
OnTheFly
Irishrover said:
A few weeks back I was fishing with OnTheFly and we were talking about Gold Lake. I mentioned I was fishing up there one time and could not catch a brookie to save my life. While I was busy not catching fish there were folks around me doing quite well at that task. One fine fellow was saw my complete inaction and was kind enough to offer up a fly that seemed to be doing the job very well. It was fished on a sinking line slow retrieved from the bottom. I used the fly, and my luck change rather quickly. So OTF here it is. When I tie this fly I wrap the hook shank with lead.
Nice fly! Yeah, I've met a couple Gold Lake veterans myself and they really know their stuff. I have fished there for years and only now am I starting to figure it out. Why don't you shoot over the recipe to me then we'll put them to the test this summer.:cool:

Irishrover
Irishrover
Ok recipe sent.

F
FishFiddle
What size hook??

Irishrover
Irishrover
nymph hook....size 10, 8, 6.
Black thread
lead wrap hook optional
Tail brown saddle tip
body cream antron
rib silver tinsel
Wing cream deer hair or elk hair. (Not Stacked)

Easy one to tie.

jhop111
jhop111
My grandpa and I have a fly the works well at gold lake. Use a standard # 6 or 7, weight the shaft with lead wrap, maybe 7-10 turns. Then wrap the body with THICK peacock hearl, use gold strand and tie off with either a bead head or not. Fish on weighted line on a slow troll. We came up with that after looking at what they were eating. I have no clue what it's supposed to be but this pattern works wonders for me every time I use it.

Irishrover
Irishrover
That's a great story. Any story that starts out with, my Grandpa and I, and is about fishing has just got to be nothing but good. Can you post a picture. I wouldn't mind tying a few up to add to the fly box.

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
well ive been searching for two days, but I just can't find my 1970's printing of the fly's of the Northwest by the inland empire fly fishers Im pretty sure that when I do I can tell you the name and orgin of that fly.

Irishrover
Irishrover
halibuthitman said:
well ive been searching for two days, but I just can't find my 1970's printing of the fly's of the Northwest by the inland empire fly fishers Im pretty sure that when I do I can tell you the name and orgin of that fly.

I have the 1998 updated version of that book at hand. I'll fill the other hand with a cup of coffee and see if I can find that fly.

Last edited:
jhop111
jhop111
Ok here is what I had in my box. This version has a turkey quill top hackle, and brown softer quill on the bottom hackle. 4-5 strands of peacock wrapped with gold strand and a split strand peacock tail that forks. Can be tied with or without the feather hackles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Irishrover
Irishrover
jhop111 said:
Ok here is what I had in my box. This version has a turkey quill top hackle, and brown softer quill on the bottom hackle. 4-5 strands of peacock wrapped with gold strand and a split strand peacock tail that forks. Can be tied with or without the feather hackles.

It's real close to a "Zug Bug" thanks for the picture. Now time to move to the bench and tie a couple of them up.

M
mlw
I have not fished Gold lake but want to. What is the story on boating at Gold lake - boat landings? I understand it is no motor? Nice flies.
Michael

Irishrover
Irishrover
MLW you are correct there are no motors allowed. It's a small lake about 96 acres. Lots of folks use float tubes on the lake and others use pontoons. I put my 16 foot Clackacraft out there and it worked well. There is a boat ramp near the campground. If you get a camp spot right on the lake it's easy to tie your boat up right at your camp. I almost wish I had not become spoiled with the driftboat because Gold lake is a perfect lake for a pontoon.

W
washfly
Irishrover, I fished Gold Lake years ago. I also talked with a guy that fished the lake. He showed me a fly much the same. He said however, to put it on a full sink and let it sit on the bottom for a few minutes and then strip in as fast as possible. I never got a touch and neither did he. So, I switched to a brown speckled woolly bugger on the type 3 full sink. I did strip it in very fast and just killed them. At that time I did catch some big brook trout but the rainbows were the main story. They were huge and fought like steelhead. Not to knock brook trout but compared to the rainbows I actually was disappointed when I did catch a brookie. One of the brookies may have been around 20 inches but the rainbows were that big and a bit bigger. I don't know what's happeneing with the lake now but brown was the story and the fly you are showing just couldn't touch the bugger. I ended up giving him two of them and he started catching them. If you want to see the fly (speckled bugger) let me know and I will try and put a picture on the site or email you the picture. If you re ally are interested I will mail you one. Even though it's just a bugger, the speckled appearance is deadly in just about every water I've fished. I only tie them in two colors, brown and green. Both are deadly!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Washfly.....great first post. Welcome to the site. If you would, post a picture here on this threat. That way the rest of the guys can see it too. Fishing is funny some days they want buggers and the next day it's something else. Looking forward to seeing one of your speckled buggers. I like those big fat bow too.

O
Oregonite
Has anyone fished Upper and Lower Marilyn lakes in the last couple years? They're the little lakes you walk in to on the left side of the road going into Gold Lake?