Giant hatchery steel

P
plumb2fish
since when does an 18 lb fish make the news?..... very nice fish-

It makes the news in Eugene since our hatchery fish average 6 lbs with a large one being 10....still feeling the effects of the Alsea brats 10+ yrs later....

H
halibuthitman
Brad, I know that's not a monster if we're talking about nates...but, that is pretty large for a clipped fish is it not?
I think you would be shocked by the number of 17-20 lb hatchery fish that get caught... but most steelheaders that I know wouldn't show a fish like that out of their system even for the braggin rights.. there would end up being a blanket hatch of radio fishermen 2 days later.. and I also find the common opinion that nates are bigger than hatchery fish to be ridiculous.. 17-18 lbs is not that far for of a reach at all for a hatchery fish.. now 21+ lbs is gonna be more common in natives, but so are 4-5 lbers.. my top 7 biggest fish in the lower 48 last year were hatchery fish, my 8 smallest were natives.. and a Monster steelhead starts at 23 lbs.. and that fish is a ****ing boot... you can't pay enough for a smoker that can fix that... the thing looks like a sockeye in august... but as I said earlier, nice big fish.. 18 lbs is big.. luckly it looks like it got to pass on the genes-

M
Mad dog

My 1st ever steelhead was a 37" 17 lb. buck I caught on the North Fork Alsea....of course that was 30 years ago! Used to see lots of hatchery steelhead in those days that would stretch the tape into the mid 30" range.

I know this season in one day my son caught a 34" buck and a friend caught a 36" hen...both hatchery fish! I guess it just depends on the system....they are out there!

S
sammyj
Wow I live on the same street as that guy, you should see his garage it looks like a Rod and Reel Museum, he is always always always fishing

troutdude
If he's always out fishing, what his address? I could always use some extra rods n' reels! LOL <just kidding folks>

Seriously though, If I were you I'd try to get to the know the guy. I'd want to learn all that I could about the stuff that he has collected.