Freeway Lake bass

B
Bassdad54
A friend of mine called me today and said he took his bass boat to Freeway Lake yesterday and picked up a nice hawg a little over 8 lb .Another friend got one there earlier in year and it was over 8lb.Yesterday bass didn't have pic but I know they are there

Badfish
Badfish
Hmm.... maybe I'll give it a try Sunday. Where do you launch? I used to live in Albany, but I never fished these lakes.

T
TTFishon
Badfish said:
Hmm.... maybe I'll give it a try Sunday. Where do you launch? I used to live in Albany, but I never fished these lakes.

The launch is off of Three Lakes Rd. You can't miss it.

S
shadow
bass fishing warm water fish

bass fishing warm water fish

Hey guys : I was fishing in Mission lake this last weekend 11/14/09 for bass and warm water fish, Problem is the waters not warm anymore and I suspect the bite is off for the winter, Does anyone have any success with LM bass in the winter ? I am guessing you do if you hit them on the head with your bait.

Badfish
Badfish
I haven't fished for bass in the winter, but am considering it. The latest Bass Master magazine has a good article on winter bassin'. It's basically saying to finesse fish, you should check it out.

F
fishin_fool
shadow said:
Hey guys : I was fishing in Mission lake this last weekend 11/14/09 for bass and warm water fish, Problem is the waters not warm anymore and I suspect the bite is off for the winter, Does anyone have any success with LM bass in the winter ? I am guessing you do if you hit them on the head with your bait.

Believe it or not I have caught more 5+lb large mouth and small mouth bass in January and February than any other months... you just have to be really patient, fish really slow and then slow it down even more and yes finesse baits are the ticket for me... I tried jigging with spoons like the hopkins but have never had any success with them... I've had my best luck fishing gitzits on 1/16 or 1/8 heads really slow off points or rock walls

A
a-mac
I normally fish a jig and craw real slow... Something like a paca or chigger craw put off a lot of action with little movement. It seems to work pretty good for me. But yeah, when your fishing slow enough to really feel the bottom and make a mental picture... then slow down even more. Its boring to do and you won't get many hits. But fishin fool is right! The % of bites you do get will be better. In Indiana anyways, you can really catch some nice 3-5lb smallies up 'til ice covers. Largemouth seem to start shutting down once the water hits mid-low 40s (in my experience anyways).

Another thing that works well is a shad rap reeled very slow. Especially if the water is more turbid from rain (I love a firetiger pattern for this). It can be a deadly technique.

S
shadow
Badfish and Fishing Fool thanks for the advice and pointers I actually just started getting back into bass fishing I usually fish salmon and steelhead. And now I am searching for ponds and lakes that may have decent bass fishing . Thanks again......... shadow

bass
bass
Winter fishing

Winter fishing

I do not get out much any more since I have small kids, so take the following advice with a grain of salt.

I used to live in PA and fished for bass every weekend from season opener to mid-December (when ice was forming on top of the lake). Late fall/winter was definitely hog time. I would catch a couple of bass over 5lbs during the whole summer, but usually at least one (and as many as 4) over 5lbs each weekend in the winter. The difference is that in the winter I would fish all day and get just a couple of bites - but they were usually hogs. The other thing that was true in PA (and NC) is that fishing wood in colder weather was the tactic. My best spots always had good wood on a steep drop into deep water. Picture a spot where the bank is a steep cliff with trees toppled down into the water. Also, I only fished a jig and pig. In the summer I would have half a dozen rods rigged with every type of lure imaginable. In the winter, I would bring 2 rods. One that had a blue/black jig and one that had a crayfish colored jig. Often, I would only pick up one of the rods all day long.

Not sure if there are spots like I described above at Freeway Lakes.

Best of luck.

B
bassin16
went to freeway lakes today and got skunked bass are getting tuff

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Check this out

Check this out

shadow said:
Badfish and Fishing Fool thanks for the advice and pointers I actually just started getting back into bass fishing I usually fish salmon and steelhead. And now I am searching for ponds and lakes that may have decent bass fishing . Thanks again......... shadow

shadow;
I've only caught a few bass,so I am no expert.