Flying steelhead phenomenon

K
Kais
At a trout creek i fish at, every time i have been there, Summer steelhead fly out of the water rising to some imaginary fly.

It doesn't matter what i cast towards them, they don't take any flies. But then out of nowhere, there flying out of the water again. What could they be rising at?

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
I think they might be jumping to bust up their egg sacks.

D
Drew9870
Have you ever noticed them boil at something? I haven't heard of TT's phenomenon, but it sounds logical, sometimes fish will also jump erratically to clean their gills out due to parasites, debris, or silt, it really could be a number of reasons, the best anyone could do is name off logical reasons, to completely know, one would most likely have to personally check out the surroundings along with water conditions to have a clear answer, unless they had a full understanding of the conditions.

C
ChezJfrey
Personally, I think they're just really sly.

A couple of times I've spotted some hanging out at the head of a riffle, dead perpendicular to me. I'm crouched down low, so they're less likely to see me, and casting out a couple things. After a few casts, one of them will leap out of the water and we're now eye-to-eye...spotted!

So, I'm convinced they do it in order to spy me :)

S
skunk
ChezJfrey said:

A couple of times I've spotted some hanging out at the head of a riffle, dead perpendicular to me. I'm crouched down low, so they're less likely to see me, and casting out a couple things. After a few casts, one of them will leap out of the water and we're now eye-to-eye...spotted!

That's the best explanation!!! My idea is they do it to tick me off. 'Hey here we are, and we aren't bitting! Haha'

C
ChezJfrey
skunk said:
That's the best explanation!!! My idea is they do it to tick me off. 'Hey here we are, and we aren't bitting! Haha'

Yeah, that too! LOL

K
Kais
ChezJfrey said:

Thats exactly how it happens for me.

I'm not even very stealhty, i come in and make a lot of noise, and they still jump around like crazy.

D
Drew9870
Sounds like you need to learn to speak Steelhead, everybody's doing it.

C
ChezJfrey
Drew9870 said:
Sounds like you need to learn to speak Steelhead, everybody's doing it.

Would this be pesceltongue? Sounds very Potterish to me ;)

C_Run
C_Run
They know you are there and they lack middle fingers. Happens very often to me.

C
ChezJfrey
C_Run said:

Since you mention this, I think I have a related story that just happened today...

I was carefully hidden and scanning the nearby water when lo, I spotted a steelhead camped just a little downstream in the riffles. I floated a 1/16 oz. black jig down past it...of course, nothing. Tried again...still nothing. I retreated behind the bushes and tied on an 1/8 oz. Floated a couple times, nothing...well, you're starting to get the idea. I tried one more time and this time, it was headed straight at the thing. The fish spots the bait and just slowly drifts off to the side to let it pass.

Hmmmm? A spoon? I grab my other rod and cast out just enough that the spoon swings around in front. You can guess what happened...I tried again and this time the spoon actually HITS the fish...but, the fish just wriggles with a little agitation and remains posited in its spot. Really? Let's try just backing the spoon down the current right at it. Rumor has it they will sometimes strike when angered by repeated assaults on their space? I drop the spoon in the water and slowly let out line until the spoon is wobbling nicely just in front. Then, off to the side a little bit right next to its head and slowly down stream. Nothing. Reel in and try again.

Then the current wafts the spoon a bit and it again hits the fish. Still no movement. Really? This is getting interesting. So, now I experiment by purposely placing the spoon in front and back it right into its nose. The fish just writhes a bit and chomps its mouth, but of course not at the spoon....hehehe. No, it just sits there irritated, but stubbornly unmoved. I just keep at it...tap, tap, tap on its head with the spoon. It didn't budge.

Seriously? Are they that freakin' stubborn? I thought for sure it would just spook and fly off. But no, I think all it wanted to do was flip that middle finger. This was so surreal I would surely not believe it if I didn't witness it myself. Crazy.

R
rippin fish lips
Chez i have had that happen to me many times this year!! Steelhead won't bite if they see u first. but the jumping thing? The breaking up their egg sacks sounds right. but who knows? they could be moving. i have spooked them and they took off down stream jumping wild b 4. They could be getting irritated by all the bugs landing and lying above their water?

P
ProfessorChromology
C_Run said:

BINGO!! ....or they could be eating caddis emergers coming off the bottom. That happens too. But the "lack of middle finger thing" is correct in most cases. :)

C
cddunn
Some days I would like to go summer steelheading with a brick. Ha.

P
plumb2fish
The breaking of the roe sacs would be logical if it was December-March. Summer steelhead don't spawn until then and in some systems even later than that.

C
ChezJfrey
rippin fish lips said:
Chez i have had that happen to me many times this year!! Steelhead won't bite if they see u first.

I'm actually not all that surprised by the not-biting as I can understand just not being interested. I am extremely puzzled why it would just sit there and take this chunk of metal rapping it in the head when there's a nice big river with plenty of room to escape the torment. Weird fish!

M
Mad dog
ChezJfrey said:
I'm actually not all that surprised by the not-biting as I can understand just not being interested. I am extremely puzzled why it would just sit there and take this chunk of metal rapping it in the head when there's a nice big river with plenty of room to escape the torment. Weird fish!

Water temps play a big factor in how much summer runs will show interest in your offerings! :think: They can get really stubborn during August! Lot's of fish in the river that showed up earlier in the run that find a spot in the river and hold there for days or weeks! These fish show very little interest in anything! Go fish that same riffle after a decent rain! ;)