Fly tying hooks, what do you use?

T
the_intimidator03
I just thought I would ask the fly tyers in here what brand of hooks do you prefer for your flies? Do you use different brands for different types of flies? I am just curious

Reactions: metalfisher76
M
metalfisher76
I`m sure this will get some more of yer fly tiers. I really only target salmon/steel so I use octopus hooks. I`ve started using Visions and they seem to be fine. I used Gami and Owner for years. I just use a 2 for leech patterns and 4&6`s for nymphs and egg patterns. Good question BTW...

T
the_intimidator03
I thought it would be a good thread for an opportunity to see what kind of hooks and brand folks use in their flies. Points can be made to which why they believe a certain brand or style, I.E. Upturned vs downturn eyes or using a scud type hook on a regular nymph pattern. Mainly so I and others can look at the information and make decisions on what we would like to use and also open our eyes to other options we may not have thought about. Thank you for the input

G
GDBrown
It has been a while since I've tied much but I used to use Mustad for all my dry flies. I liked them partly because it was easy to bend the barbs flat so I could fish barb-less. The barb-less hooks were almost twice as expensive as barbed hooks back then. I haven't tied enough lately to know what to use so I'm interested to see what's best now days.

GD

B
bigsteel
Mustad all the way

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Mustad for most of my fly tying - love their dry fly hooks, the curved nymph hooks, and their long shank streamer hooks. I will occasionally buy Tiemco or Daiichi - but I'd venture to say 90% of the flies I've tied were on Mustads. Part of it for me is cost - and part of it is quality. While Mustad might not be the best hook maker out there - they're far, far from the worst. I've never had one of their hooks break on me, so I see no reason to change either.

And the comment about them being easy to pinch the barb on ~ +1

For my fly tied jigs, I like Gami's for the big stuff - typically buy painted, unfinished Aerojig heads for that. Most of the micro jigs I've tied up lately were made with Eagle Claw or Gami hooks, at least according to the packaging.

F
fish_4_all
Mustad R series for all my streamers. Landed a 35# Chinook on the r72 #4 this year. For yarn patterns I use Mustad egg hooks. For nymph patterns I use Mustad 37160. I use Mustad 3399 for salmon bucktail patterns and salt water bucktail patterns. I don't dry fly fish for salmon or steelhead but I will be doing some this year. Will likely be using the R series mustad for them unless I need a lighter hook then I will have to find the right one. Most patterns will be with foam in the body to get them to float anyway.

So needless to say I love Mustad for everything fly tying related.

I
ibfishin
I have been tying only about a year but I use a lot of Tiemco and Daiichi for nymphs and smaller wet and dry flies and mustad for the bigger flies and streamers. For jigs I use Gamakatsu. I have only broke one hook and can't remember what it was.