Fly fishing newb :P

brandon4455
i have recently discovered how fun fly fishing looks and how productive it can be ive found a few outfits etc and i know what flies to get. but i have trouble with fnding cheap sinking line for using nymphs and streamers and other non floating flies etc i dont think where i fish will produce on dry flies very often. so does anybody have instructions for attaching backing to your line at tippet knots and wat not ?. and 20 dollar or less sinking line or is it fine to use mono? im planning on getting a 4wt rod thats anywhere from 7-9ft thanks for any help at all im really exited to fly fish next season,



brandon
 
bigsteel
hey bro good your gettin into fly fishing,for nymphing mono works but tippet looks more natural as far as attaching the backing to fly line i use a nail knot then another nail knot from my fly line to leader then a clinch knot from tippet to fly,,,when your tippet runs out on your leader just add more tippet with an surgeons knot,,i usually fish rivers so i prefer to use split shots instead of sinking line so mmy fly gets down quicker,or when you get nymphs just get heavily weigted ones then you dont need additional weight.also you can do a hopper dropper setup just tie a small nymph off the bend of the hook on your dry fly and your set
 
brandon4455
bigsteel said:
hey bro good your gettin into fly fishing,for nymphing mono works but tippet looks more natural as far as attaching the backing to fly line i use a nail knot then another nail knot from my fly line to leader then a clinch knot from tippet to fly,,,when your tippet runs out on your leader just add more tippet with an surgeons knot,,i usually fish rivers so i prefer to use split shots instead of sinking line so mmy fly gets down quicker,or when you get nymphs just get heavily weigted ones then you dont need additional weight.also you can do a hopper dropper setup just tie a small nymph off the bend of the hook on your dry fly and your set[/QUOTEi thank you so much. ive been wanting to fly fish for a while my uncle might be able to take me to the deschutes some time he goes there a lot. i heard its a great fly fishing river. all the best,



brandon
 
waco
it is too late on the year to start learning fly fishing??
 
fish4life
I just use floating line and attack a corky at the end of it with a toothpick for a strike indicator and attach a bb size split shot above the fly cast it out and watch the indicator if it stops or sinks lift up you got a fish or the bottom.
 
brandon4455
fish4life said:
I just use floating line and attack a corky at the end of it with a toothpick for a strike indicator and attach a bb size split shot above the fly cast it out and watch the indicator if it stops or sinks lift up you got a fish or the bottom.

sweet thanks i use indicator rigs with yarn and stuff with my spinning rod but i didn't know if it would work with floating fly line i appriciate the tip,

brandon
 
brandon4455
waco said:
it is too late on the year to start learning fly fishing??

prety much all creek and river trout fishing is done for the year i dont know of any that are open. dont know much about fly fishing in lakes. the only pattern i know about for lakes is chironomid pupa but i just use those under a clear bubble float.
 
lilsalmon
We are heading out to the Metolius tomorrow....C&R only....going to try to get me one of those huge bull trout.....I visited with Gene (sp?) at the fly shop in Lebanon....awesome guy and I picked up some of his favorite flies for the Metolius....sweet...can't wait.

I tried sinking line...don't like it....I prefer dry fly but when I nymph I do exactly what bigsteel said.....he showed me the way....:D

The Deschutes is awesome....if you can get there it is an excellent river....I fly fished for the first time on the Crooked.....thats a good one too....actually, Oregon is all good...hehe
 
brandon4455
lilsalmon said:
We are heading out to the Metolius tomorrow....C&R only....going to try to get me one of those huge bull trout.....I visited with Gene (sp?) at the fly shop in Lebanon....awesome guy and I picked up some of his favorite flies for the Metolius....sweet...can't wait.

I tried sinking line...don't like it....I prefer dry fly but when I nymph I do exactly what bigsteel said.....he showed me the way....:D
The Deschutes is awesome....if you can get there it is an excellent river....I fly fished for the first time on the Crooked.....thats a good one too....actually, Oregon is all good...hehe

ive planned a trip there for 3 years and somthing always happens :/ but maybe i will be lucky this time. the way he explains the fish in that river and how beautiful it is.. i almost cry lol good luck out on the metolius sounds like a load of fun! hope land the big ones! and yeah oregon is great i wouldnt change where i live in a million years! all the best,


brandon
 
bigsteel
brandon4455 said:
bigsteel said:
hey bro good your gettin into fly fishing,for nymphing mono works but tippet looks more natural as far as attaching the backing to fly line i use a nail knot then another nail knot from my fly line to leader then a clinch knot from tippet to fly,,,when your tippet runs out on your leader just add more tippet with an surgeons knot,,i usually fish rivers so i prefer to use split shots instead of sinking line so mmy fly gets down quicker,or when you get nymphs just get heavily weigted ones then you dont need additional weight.also you can do a hopper dropper setup just tie a small nymph off the bend of the hook on your dry fly and your set[/QUOTEi thank you so much. ive been wanting to fly fish for a while my uncle might be able to take me to the deschutes some time he goes there a lot. i heard its a great fly fishing river. all the best,



brandon

oh sweet,,Deschutes is a fly fishing heaven,and there are huge redsides in there,very fun on a 5 wt rod.
 
brandon4455
bigsteel said:
brandon4455 said:
oh sweet,,Deschutes is a fly fishing heaven,and there are huge redsides in there,very fun on a 5 wt rod.

ill try on a 4weight for the hell of it . it sounds two times as fun.
 
brandon4455
bigsteel said:
brandon4455 said:
oh sweet,,Deschutes is a fly fishing heaven,and there are huge redsides in there,very fun on a 5 wt rod.

any fly suggestions for the deschutes?
 
bigsteel
brandon4455 said:
bigsteel said:
any fly suggestions for the deschutes?

peacock stimulator,silveys caddis pupa,morrish super pupa,,tan elk hair caddis and yellow sallies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
brandon4455
bigsteel said:
brandon4455 said:
peacock stimulator,silveys caddis pupa,morrish super pupa,,tan elk hair caddis and yellow sallies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow man.. you know your stuff real well lol thanks dave,


brandon
 
bigsteel
brandon4455 said:
bigsteel said:
wow man.. you know your stuff real well lol thanks dave,


brandon

thanks brandon,,i just know what has worked for me,fly fishing is an addiction my friend
 
brandon4455
bigsteel said:
brandon4455 said:
thanks brandon,,i just know what has worked for me,fly fishing is an addiction my friend

soon for me to find out when we go fly fishin after my early christmas :D
 
Top Bottom