Flippin hooks...

T
TurnerBassin91
So here's a topic worth discussing, how to pick the right flipping hook and what brands work the best for you guys and why?? Also, favorite flippin baits. Personally, I hate Trokar hooks because the point rolls after a couple fish so don't listen to all the hype out there. I stick with Gamakatsu and Owner far all my hooks, and both brands make awesome flipping hooks. For all my flipping I will usually opt for 4/0 to 6/0 hooks depending on the size of my plastics. As far baits go I like to keeo it fairly simple. Sweet Beavers are by far my #1 producer, as well as the New Havoc Baits from Berkley, check em out. And also can forget about the jig. Beavers work great for jig trailers, and in colder wanter I throw pork. Best pork for sure is Uncle Josh Phantam Craw and Phantam Finesse Craw. This is what im confident in, what about you guys? Any questions about the topic is recommended.

M
merryjoagnel
Nice Catching Fish...

T
TurnerBassin91
I can't be the only one who likes flip and pitch, the only reason I started this thread is so other people can learn about this technique, and how to utilize this technique as an effective method to catch those slimy green things during specific times of the year. Don't be afraid to ask any questions! :cool:

Last edited:
F
Finneus Polebender
Run the same size for most baits have 7and 8s for a few of my larger baits. Flippin into cover can be very productive, my tuffest challenge so far is converting all the flippin / skipping skills learned for years on spinning gear to bait casters been a steep curve LOL that would be mr birdsnest to you! any tips on that sub.

Last edited:
R
ryan808
I use a Gama 4/0 heavy flipping hook and use either use a Boss weed eater flipping skirt setup. I like the sliding skit setups cause it can punch through the cover and the hook and trailer usually follows a foot or two after the skirt.

A
alseaalumaweld
heavy wire ewg gami for everthing

J
jawjacker
my tuffest challenge so far is converting all the flippin / skipping skills learned for years on spinning gear to bait casters been a steep curve LOL that would be mr birdsnest to you! any tips on that sub.
Try loosening your tension knob so you don't have to put so much power in your skip and turn your magnets or brakes all the way up.

F
Finneus Polebender
jawjacker said:
Try loosening your tension knob so you don't have to put so much power in your skip and turn your magnets or brakes all the way up.

Will do have plenty of time to play when winter hits

C
CFishRun
I use the 4/0 to 6/0 gami or owner unless I can find the hooks in the black packaging with red lettering. I don't know what they're called but they are sharp, really sharp and made of a thinner diameter metal, which I think helps with my hook-ups. I like texas rigged plastic for flipping. During spring I like lizards (black and char), then as the water warms and the craws come out I switch to Tubes and Worms when shallow or flipping some off shore structure. Then when it gets really hot I switch to flipping the edges with texas and drop shot rigs. Nothing like flipping a ledge in twenty feet of water. I'm sure it looks stupid flipping a ten inch worm in the middle of the lake but it works. Really really well. Then fall hits and I gotta go for the jig flipping. But all of this above depends on the lake, temp, season, baitfish, etc etc etc. I love bass fishing, I gotta get back into it.

I have a question for the slab chuckers, those of you fishing the big swimbaits. When you find a honey hole do you simply cast the swimbaits in and around the area a few times and call it good. I look for pockets and fish mostly pockets when I'm after large mouths so I rely heavily on the flippin stick. I've pulled twenty bass out of a hole the size of my kitchen. 10' x 10' of water held twenty bass. The biggest was three pounds so maybe you don't look for these areas because your looking for fives and up but whats to say they aren't there. I've heard of holes with threes, fours and fives schooling up in it. You catch ten of those and you and your pardna are winning the tourney. I don't think you can find these areas with a run and gun swimbait tactic. Any thoughts???

D
Darthbeans
If you can luck out and find a hole that has fish that will commit to 7" or larger swimbaits you da man!! most of mine come from working ambush spots or weed edges near drop offs but im fairly new to them CP prolly has more to say on it than me.....as far as fliipin' goes around here tgere arent too many places that give the op to do so but i use a 4/0 gamma or trokar heavy cover hook with florida rig tungsten weights or peg them on snelled hooks so the bait goes horizontal on pressure.