Fishing light jigs with braid

S
Snappleninja
has anybody tried to fish light jigs like 1/64-1/16oz with braid? I’m thinking that because braid floats it might be an issue but I am curious for your input.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Try shot lining with a float or dbl jig set-up for wt. concerns. Tony

Chromatose
Chromatose
Mono Leader?

4labs
4labs
Had some nasty backlash going that lite, usually switch to spin

S
Senkosam
Braid is the only line I use on baitcast, spinning and even with certain spincast reels. An angler on another forum uses a baitcast reel and ultralight pole to cast jigs as light as 3/22 oz. using braid. All the power to him. I rarely cast jigs as light as 1/64 oz but can as long as the braid diameter is around 2 lb test.

When it comes to spincast reels, the opening of the line cover that houses the line is important. Daiwa's Silvercast 100A is the one of the best reels that allows a casting distance of over 42' using a 1/16 oz jig plus plastic lure but only because the hole diameter near 1/2":
15Gw6lE.jpg
Pfleuger also makes a reel that casts braid and light lures but an underhand sidearm cast seems to be the best way without the line hanging up under the cover.

You can get a cast of over 57' casting the same size jig from a spinning reel using light braid:
JyqhVNB.jpg

I like casting light lures long distances in order to cover the most water from a boat or the bank and I rarely fish jigs 1/8 oz. or heavier. Utralight and light action rods allow using braid to cast light lures, not so much stiffer medium action rods. Spincast reels have come a long way in quality, gear ratio, drag smoothness and foolproof casting. Before my carpal tunnel surgery, I alternated with a spinning reel held in the affected hand to be able to feel my fingers. even though cured, I still like spincast reel and light lures.

Last edited: